Maitland Hyslop (1802 - 1873) and
Jane Smith (~1803 - 1855)

View comments (617) about this article

Maitland Hyslop was born on 11th December 1802 in Stoneykirk parish in Wigtownshire.  His parents were Andrew Hyslop, who earned his living as a Carrier, and Janat McMickan, both of whom had been born in around 1780 and were married in the parish of Stoneykirk on 21st November 1802. 

Stoneykirk, both the parish and the village, was described in ‘A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1846)’ in the following terms:

STONEYKIRK, a parish, in the county of Wigton, 5 miles (S. S. E.) from Stranraer; containing, with the fishing-port of Sandhead and the village of Stoneykirk, 3062 inhabitants, of whom 56 are in the village. This place, the old name of which, properly Stephenkirk, and derived from the dedication of the principal church, has given way to the present appellation, of which the origin is unknown, consists of the three ancient parishes of Stoneykirk, Clayshank, and Toscarton, united about the time of the Reformation.
The parish is bounded on the east by the bay of Luce, and on the west by the Irish Channel, and is nearly ten miles in length and three miles and a half in average breadth, comprising about 21,500 acres, of which 19,000 are arable, 375 woodland and plantations, and the remainder, whereof 1100 might be reclaimed, moorland and waste. The west coast is bold and rocky, towards the north in some places precipitous, but less elevated towards the south; it is indented on that side with several small bays, giving shelter to vessels employed in the fisheries. The eastern coast is more level, and towards the north the shore for a considerable extent is sand, which is dry at low water; the principal bays are Sandhead and Chapel-Rosan. The plantations consist of firs of various kinds, interspersed with the usual sorts of forest-trees, and are all in a thriving state: there are also still considerable remains of natural wood, chiefly ash, birch, and elm, of which there are many fine specimens.  Balgreggan, the seat of Patrick Maitland, Esq., a handsome mansion beautifully situated in a richly-wooded demesne; Kildrochat, the residence of the late Countess of Rothes; and Ardwell, the seat of Sir John Mc Taggart, M.P., are the principal houses.

The population of the parish at the time of Maitland Hyslop’s birth was less than 1,900. 

Maitland was the first child of Andrew Hyslop and Janat McMickan and there is much speculation amongst his descendants regarding the origin of his forename.  Chief among the theories is that the forename Maitland was adopted as a mark of respect for the family who owned the Balgreggan Estate which would have been a significant employer in Stoneykirk parish in those times and may even have employed Andrew at the time of Maitland’s birth.  Image 1 shows a photograph of Balgreggan House taken around 1912.  The house was demolished in 1966.

On 27th November 1825, Maitland Hyslop, now almost 23, married 22-year-old Jane Smith in the parish of New Abbey in Kirkcudbrightshire.  Jane was the daughter of Shepherd David Smith and Elizabeth Green and had been born in the parish of Carlaverock, Dumfriesshire in around 1803. 

Still in the south-west of Scotland, the stewarty of Kirkcudbright lay to the east of Wigtownshire.  The parish of New Abbey would have been about 70 miles from Stoneykirk where Maitland had been born.

NEW ABBEY, a parish, in the stewartry of Kirkcudbright; containing 1049 inhabitants, of whom 330 are in the village, 7 miles (S. by W.) from Dumfries. This place, anciently called Kirkindar from the situation of the old church on an island in Loch Kindar, derived its present name from the foundation of an abbey which, in contradistinction to that of Dundrennan, was styled the New Abbey.

The parish, which is partly bounded on the east by the river Nith, is about ten miles in length and nearly two miles in average breadth; comprising an area of 11,000 acres, of which 4000 are arable, 600 woodland and plantations, and the remainder hill, pasture, moor, and waste.  ‘A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1846)’

On 22nd October 1826, Maitland and Jane Hyslop’s first child Samuel was born in the parish of Troqueer in Kirkcudbrightshire.   It is not at all clear where the forename Samuel would have originated.  On 27th January 1828, also in Troqueer, Andrew Hyslop was born, named after his paternal grandfather.

The parish of Troqueer lay at the eastern side of Kirkcudbrightshire and adjacent to and just to the north of New Abbey parish.

TROQUEER, a parish, in the stewartry of Kirkcudbright, ¾ of a mile (S.) from Dumfries; including the burgh of Maxwelltown, and containing 4351 inhabitants, of whom 3230 are in the burgh. This place is supposed to have derived its name from its forming one of the three ancient seminaries in the district, the other two being Lincluden and Newabbey. The parish is bounded on the east by the river Nith, and is about seven miles and a half in length, and four miles and a half in extreme breadth, comprising an area of almost 6000 acres, of which from 500 to 600 are woodland and plantations, and the remainder arable, meadow, and pasture.  ‘A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1846)’

John Hyslop was born on 15th March 1830 in Dinwoodiehill-Head, in the parish of Applegarth, in Dumfriesshire.

DINWOODIE, an ancient chapelry, in the parish of Applegarth, county of Dumfries, 5 miles (N. by W.) from Lockerbie. It is situated on the road from Lockerbie to Moffat, and a little east of the river Annan, which bounds the parish on the west. On Dinwoodie Green is an inn, which has long served as a stage to the mail between London and Glasgow. Dinwoodie hill, in the neighbourhood of the village, is 736 feet high.  ‘A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1846)’

Maitland Hyslop was born on 26th May 1832 in the parish of Kirkbean, Kirkcudbrightshire which was located just to the south of Troqueer.

KIRKBEAN, a parish, in the stewartry of Kirkcudbright, 12 miles (S.) from Dumfries; containing, with the villages of Carsethorn and Preston-Mill, 891 inhabitants, of whom 91 are in the village of Kirkbean. This parish, of which the name, in the Gaelic language, is descriptive of the situation of its church at the foot of a mountain, is bounded on the east and south by the Solway Frith, and is about six miles in length and three in average breadth, comprising nearly 11,000 acres, of which 5000 are arable, and the remainder hill pasture, plantation, moorland, and waste. The surface is mountainous and rugged, especially towards the west, where are lofty ridges of hills terminating in the height of Criffel to the north, which has an elevation of 1900 feet above the sea. From Criffel the land slopes gradually towards the shore, which is tolerably level, and in a high state of cultivation. The hill commands from its summit very extensive and varied prospects, embracing views of Annan, Carlisle, Dumfries, Castle-Douglas, and the Isle of Man; and in favourable weather the mountains of North Wales, and the north coast of Ireland, may be indistinctly seen. The coast is generally low and sandy, but interspersed with rocky precipices of considerable elevation, in one of which, near Arbigland House, is a naturally-formed arch of romantic appearance; the principal bay is that of Carse, and the most prominent headlands are Borron Point and Saturness.  ‘A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1846)’

David Hyslop was born about 1833 probably in Kirkbean, Kirkcudbrightshire. He died in infancy and certainly before 1841.  No birth record has been found for David and his existence is known only from his inclusion in the death record of his mother Jane Smith.  His birthplace is assumed to be Kirkbean based on the fact that both his preceding and succeeding siblings were born there. 

Thomas Hyslop was born on 11th July 1834 in Nimbelly, parish of Kirkbean, Kirkcudbrightshire.  Image 2 shows a map (circa 1860) in which a dwelling marked 'Nimbly' is evident.  It is likely that this was where Thomas was born.  Nimbly was situated just to the north of the village of Kirkbean.

The village of Kirkbean stands on the estuary of the Nith, in a beautifully-rural valley, and consists of pleasing cottages kept in the neatest order, and surrounded by thriving plantations; there is a post daily to Dumfries, and facility of communication is afforded by the turnpike-road to Dumfries, which passes through the parish. At Saturness, on the coast, are several small cottages, which, during the season, are inhabited by respectable families for the purpose of sea-bathing; and at Preston-Farm there was anciently situated a village which possessed the various rights and privileges of a burgh of regality, and of which the ancient cross is still remaining. At Carsethorn, also a bathing-village, steam-packets touch twice a week, in their passage from Dumfries to White-haven and Liverpool; and vessels anchor safely in its bay when they cannot proceed so far as the harbour of Dumfries.

James Hyslop was born on 10th October 1836 in New Abbey, Kirkcudbrightshire, and Elizabeth Hyslop was born on 18th April, 1839 in Cargen Bridge, Troqueer, Kirkcudbrightshire.  Cargen Bridge is shown on the map in Image 3 and lay just over a mile to the southwest of Dumfries Town which was by some way the largest town in the southwest of Scotland.

At the 1841 Census (7th June), Maitland Hyslop, age stated as 38, is found residing in the Parish of Morton at Drum Farm and Cottages.  His occupation was recorded as Horse Trainer.  Residing with him were his wife, recorded as Jean Smith and age recorded as 31, John (10), Maitland (8), Thomas (6), James (4) and Elizabeth (2).

Drum Farm and Drum Cottages can be seen marked on the 1856 map in Image 4.  The location is also marked on a modern Ordnance Survey map.  It lies just to the west of the Glasgow and Southwestern railway line and to the east of the A702 and the River Nith. The village of Thornhill is just to the south.  The railway was later to be named the London Midland Scottish Railway.

Meanwhile eldest son Samuel was working as an Agricultural Labourer at Stepend Farm in the parish of Buittle in Kirkcudbrightshire.  Second son Andrew has not been located at this time.

David Hyslop was born about 1843 in Sanquhar, Dumfriesshire.  Jane Hyslop was born in about 1847 also in Sanquhar, Dumfriesshire.  Jane was the second daughter and the last child of Maitland and Jean. 

On 18th June 1847, Andrew Hyslop, second son of Maitland and Jean married Margaret Moffat in the parish of Holywood in Dumfrieshire.

In June 1850, Samuel Hyslop, eldest son of Maitland Hyslop and Jean Smith, married Mary Creighton, daughter of Farmer William Creighton and Jane Carlyle at Lochmaben, Dumfriesshire.

At the Census of 1851 (31st March), the Hyslop family is now residing in the village of Pathhead in the parish of New Cumnock, Ayrshire.  Maitland is recorded as aged 45 and was employed as a Carter.  His wife Jane was recorded as 41 years old.  Their children residing with them were Elizabeth (10), David (8) and Jane (4).  Pathhead is shown on the map in Image 5.  It lay at the southern end of Ayrshire near the boundary with Dumfriesshire and was close to the source of the River Nith which is also shown on the map.

NEW CUMNOCK, a parish, in the district of Kyle, county of Ayr, 6 miles (S. E. by S.) from Old Cumnock; containing, with the villages of Castle, Pathhead, Mansfield, and Afton-Bridgend, 2382 inhabitants. This parish, which was separated from that of Cumnock in the year 1650, is situated at the south-east extremity of the county. It is about twelve miles in length, from east to west, and nine in breadth, from north to south, and comprises about 75,000 acres, of which 15,000 are arable, 300 woodland and plantations, and the remainder, of which about 3000 might be reclaimed and brought into cultivation, is a very elevated tract of moss.  The villages are chiefly inhabited by persons employed in agriculture and in the mines and quarries; there is a post-office under that of Old Cumnock, and a library which has a collection of more than 1040 volumes is supported by subscription. A fair is held on the Thursday before Whitsunday, for cattle, and considerable business is transacted. On the summit of a knoll are some traces of the ancient castle of Blackbog, of which all the masonry has been removed, to furnish materials for building, but of which the fosse may be still distinctly seen. This castle was at one time the residence of the Dunbars of Mochrum, and was frequently visited by Sir William Wallace. On the lands of Sir John Cathcart are also the ruins of an ancient baronial castle, near the source of the river Nith.  ‘A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1846)’

Pathhead today is probably not much bigger than it was when Maitland and his family lived and worked there although clearly the buildings would have been replaced.

Samuel Hyslop, employed as a Farm Labourer, and his wife Mary were residing at this time at Dinwoodie Green in Applegarth and Sibbaldbie, Dumfriesshire with their 7-month-old daughter Jane. Andrew’s wife Margaret was residing with their two small children John (3) and Mary (1) at Gateside Farm in Holywood, Dumfriesshire.  Andrew has not been located at this time.

John Hyslop was employed as a Farm Labourer at Horsecleugh Farm in Old Cumnock in Ayrshire. This was situated just 4 miles to the north west of Pathhead where his parents were residing.

Young Maitland Hyslop, we believe, was residing at 127 North Drumlanrig Street in Thornhill, Morton, Dumfriesshire.  He was employed as a Carter’s Servant.  His birthplace was recorded as Sanquhar, Dumfriesshire, whereas we know it was in fact, Kirkbean in Kirkcudbrightshire.  We suspect that his residence until recently had been Sanquhar, where his youngest two siblings David and Jane had been born, and this may have led to confusion in the recording.

Thomas and James are unaccounted for at the 1851 Census. In fact, we have been unable to locate James subsequent to the 1841 Census.

On 10th December 1852, John Hyslop, third son of Maitland and Jean, married Catherine Pauline, daughter of James Pauline and Margaret Raine, at Twynholm, Kirkcudbrightshire.

On 14th April 1855 Jane Smith died of Consumption at Riccarton in the Burgh of Kilmarnock in Ayrshire.  Consumption is an older term for Tuberculosis (TB) which is a potentially fatal contagious disease that can affect almost any part of the body but is mainly an infection of the lungs. It is caused by a bacterial microorganism, the tubercle bacillus or Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Although TB can be treated, cured, and can be prevented if persons at risk take certain drugs, scientists have never come close to wiping it out. Few diseases have caused so much distressing illness for centuries and claimed so many lives. Maitland Hyslop reported his wife’s death and gave his occupation as Carter. He also reported Jane’s age to be 52, which was inconsistent with the ages stated at the previous two censuses.  The death record indicates that they had been residing in the parish of Riccarton for the previous 3 years.  It was further stated that 9 of Jane’s 10 children were still living Samuel (30), Andrew (29), John (28), Maitland (24), David (dead), Thomas (21) James (20), Elizabeth (18), David (14) and Jane (7).  Image 6 shows Maitland's signature at the time he reported her death. 

Less than 6 months later, 21 year old Thomas Hyslop, died on 6th October, also at Riccarton, Ayrshire.  The cause of death was reported as “Injuries caused by a kick from a horse in the abdomen after which he lingered 5 days.”    Maitland reported his son's death.

On 4th April, 1856 in Tarbolton, Ayrshire, Maitland Hyslop, fourth son of Maitland and Jean, married Elizabeth McCreadie, daughter of James McCreadie and Elizabeth Carlisle.

On 22nd May, 1857, 14-year-old David Hyslop died of Dropsy at Boreland, Girthon, Kirkcudbrightshire.  His brother John reported the death.  Dropsy, technically known as oedema, refers to the abnormal accumulation of fluids in the body. It causes a type of swelling called oedema. It is a typical 'impurities' disease caused by an accumulation of waste products in the blood. This swelling may be localized, as with ascites (the distended abdomen that develops in cases of liver disease and some types of cancer), or generalized, occurring throughout the body, as with progressive kidney failure. It is a feature of many diseases, specially those relating to heart and kidneys.

It is likely that following his mother’s death in 1855, young David went to live with his older brother in the Parish of Girthon.

At the time of the 1861 Census (8th April), widower Maitland Hyslop was residing back in Kirkcudbrightshire in the parish of Colvend.  His age was stated to be 60 and he was employed as a Horse Breaker residing at a place called 'Torrs'.

At the same time, Farm Servant Samuel Hyslop and his wife Mary and their 5 young children were residing at the farm Mains of Craigs in Dumfries, Dumfriesshire. 

Ploughman Andrew Hyslop, his wife Margaret and their 3 young children were residing at Tile West House, Riccarton, Ayrshire. 

Ploughman John Hyslop, his wife Catherine and their 3 young children were residing at Mines House, Girthon, Kirkcudbrightshire. 

Maitland Hyslop, fourth son of Maitland and Jean, was residing at Glen of Spottes, parish of Urr, Kirkcudbrightshire.  He was employed as a Horse Breaker.  His wife Elizabeth was residing with their 3 young children at Kellieston, Dunscore, Dumfriesshire.

Elizabeth Hyslop was residing at 5 Cross Row, Eglinton Iron Works, near Kilwinning in Ayrshire.  Elizabeth was aged 22, and was recorded as a ‘married’ Agricultural Labourer.  She was boarding with a widow, Charlotte Money and her 12 year old daughter.  Residing with her was her daughter Margaret Hyslop.  Living nearby was Margaret’s father Thomas Kelly (Kellay) at 59 Single Row, Eglinton Iron Works.

Jane Hyslop, who would have been about 8 years old when her mother died, we suspect was working as a Dairymaid at High Kelton, Dumfries St. Michael, Dumfriesshire.  Her birthplace was stated to be Sanquhar, Dumfriesshire although her age was recorded as 18, whereas we know she would only be around 14.

On 9th June, 1865, Jane Hyslop married Samuel Thom in Dumfries, Dumfriesshire.  He was the son of farmer William Thom and his wife Janet.

On 15th October 1867 at Ivy Lodge in the town of Dumfries, widower Maitland Hyslop, now a Labourer and stated to be 60 years old, married 50-year-old widow Janet Byers.  Both were residing at Queensberry Square in Dumfries.  Janet, born in Lochrutton, Kirkcudbrightshire, was the widow of General Labourer Francis McEwen (McEwn, McKune) who had died in 1860 in Dumfries Workhouse for Paupers of a Cancerous Tumour of the Liver.  At the time of the 1861 Census (8th April), Janet had been residing in the same workhouse with her 4-year-old son William McEwen.  

At the time of the 1871 Census (3rd April), Maitland and Janet Hyslop were residing at Jocklig Cottage in Colvend, Kirkcudbrightshire.  Maitland was recorded as 66 years old and employed as an Agricultural Labourer, while Janet was recorded as 46.

At the same time, Agricultural Labourer Samuel Hyslop and his wife Mary and their 3 youngest children were residing at Byres Farm in Caerlaverock, Dumfriesshire.  

Agricultural Labourer Andrew Hyslop, his wife Margaret and 3 of their young children were residing at Bleachfield, Dalton, Dumfriesshire. 

Agricultural Labourer John Hyslop, his wife Catherine and their 5 young children were residing at Mines House, Girthon, Kirkcudbrightshire. 

Horse Breaker Maitland Hyslop, his wife Elizabeth and their 5 children were residing at 1 Mill Road, Maxwelltown, Troqueer, Kirkcudbrightshire.

Elizabeth Hyslop was residing at 44 Wemyss Row, Overtown, Wishaw, Lanarkshire with Coal Miner Thomas Kelly and their 5 young children.   She was recorded as Elizabeth Kelly, although we know that she and Thomas were not yet married.

Jane and Samuel Thom were residing at 121 High Street in Dumfries with their 3 young children.

It was while they resided at Overtown that Thomas Kelly and Elizabeth Hyslop finally tied the knot and married at Cambusnethan Manse, Cambusnethan, Lanarkshire on 15th July, 1873.  

On 23rd July, 1873, at Dumfries Royal Infirmary, Maitland Hyslop died of Erysipelas of Head from which he had been suffering for 10 days.  Erysipelas is a skin infection that often follows strep throat.  Also called St. Anthony's fire, it is caused by infection by Group A Streptococci. This same type of bacteria is responsible for infections of both surgical and other kinds of wounds in the skin. The infection occurs most often in young infants and the elderly. Maitland's death was reported by the House Surgeon who was unable to provide details of his parents, although his age was stated to be 72.  Image 9 shows an 1856 map indicating the location of Dumfries Royal Infirmary - just south of the main town of Dumfries and on the eastern bank of the River Nith.

The Infirmary, with which was once connected a lunatic asylum, was founded in 1776, and is superintended by a committee of subscribers; the medical department is under the inspection of two visiting physicians and surgeons, and a resident house surgeon; and a licentiate of the Established Church officiates as chaplain. The average number of patients in the house is 30, and from 700 to 800 receive advice and medicines at the institution annually. The expenditure is about £1300 per annum, defrayed by bequests, donations, and subscriptions, and liberal contributions from the counties of Dumfries and Wigton, and the stewartry of Kirkcudbright, to all of which it is open.   ‘A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1846)’

In 1875 Samuel Thom died in Dumfries leaving his wife with 3 young children.  In around 1877, Jane had another child, named John Hyslop to an unknown father.  In 1879 Jane Hyslop married for a second time - this time to Englishman Nicholas Lennon.

At the time of the 1881 Census (4th April), Maitland Hyslop’s widow Janet Byers was residing alone at Kirkhouse in the parish of Kirkgunzeon, Kirkcudbrightshire.  She was employed as an Agricultural Labourer.

At the same time, Farmer of 142 Acres Samuel Hyslop and his wife Mary and their 3 youngest children and two grandchildren were residing at Barclay Farm in Colvend and Southwick, Kirkcudbrightshire. 

Farm Servant Andrew Hyslop, his wife Margaret and their 4 youngest children were residing at Plumbland, Cumberland in England.  

Farm Servant Agricultural Labourer John Hyslop, his wife Catherine and 2 children were residing at Netherhall Cot-House, Balmaghie, Kirkcudbrightshire.

'Young' Maitland Hyslop, still employed as a Horse Breaker was working and residing at Gareslack, Durrisdeer, Dumfriesshire.  He was stated as “Servant by Week” clearly on a short term employment arrangement with the farmer.  His wife Elizabeth was residing with their 4 youngest children at Side Bar, Holywood, Dumfriesshire.

Elizabeth and Thomas Kelly were residing at Dunsmore’s Square in the Hamilton District, Lanarkshire with their 8 children.  We have established that this was located in Motherwell although it does not appear on any map that we know of.

Jane and Nicholas Lennon were residing at 25 English Street in Dumfries with 5 children, 3 of whom she had with Samuel Thom, one with Nicholas and one with a person unknown.  Jane was employed as a Weaver in a Woollen Factory.  Nicholas was a Coachbuilder's Viceman.

On 14th April 1887, Jane Lennon died of a Cerebral Abscess at Dumfries Infirmary where her father Maitland had died some 14 years earlier.  Her age was recorded as 41.  She died on the 32nd anniversary of her mother, Jane Smith's death.  Her widower Nicholas reported her death.

At the time of the 1891 Census (5th April), Maitland Hyslop’s widow Janet Byers, now aged 67, was residing alone at Drum Coultren Cot in the parish of Kirkgunzeon, Kirkcudbrightshire.  Her occupation was recorded as Outdoor Worker.

At the same time, Farmer Samuel Hyslop and his wife Mary and their 3 grandchildren were still residing at Barclay Farm in Colvend, Kirkcudbrightshire.

Andrew Hyslop was residing at Elland With Greetland, Yorkshire, England with his new wife Ann.  His first wife Margaret Moffat had died and he married Ann Troughear in around February 1882 in Longtown, Cumberland, England.

62-year-old Farmer John Hyslop and his wife Catherine were residing at Torwilkie Farm, Balmaclennan, Kirkcudbrightshire.  Also resident were their daughter Elizabeth Hyslop and her 2-year-old son Robert. 

Horse Breaker Maitland Hyslop was residing at Chapelton Farm, Borgue, Kirkcudbrightshire, while his wife Elizabeth was residing at Mill Cottage, Irongray, Kirkcudbrightshire with their youngest daughter 16-year-old Margaret.

Elizabeth and Thomas Kelly were residing at Kerrsland, Eastfield at the west end of Cambuslang in Lanarkshire.  Thomas was still a Coal Miner and residing with them were 6 of their children.

John Hyslop died at Springholm, parish of Urr in Kirkcudbrightshire on 28th June 1891.  The cause of death was Heart Pulmonary Regurgitation.  His son Samuel reported his death.

Janet Byers, second wife of the late Maitland Hyslop, died on 20th February 1899 at Auchenhay Cottage in Colvend, Kirkcudbrightshire.  Her son William reported her death.

At the time of the 1901 Census (31st March) Farmer Samuel Hyslop, age recorded as 74, and his wife Mary were still residing at Barclay Farm in Colvend, Kirkcudbrightshire.  Residing with them were their daughter, Mary Johnson, her husband Joseph and their daughter Grace.

73-year-old Andrew Hyslop was residing at Threapland, Cumberland, England.  He was widowed for a second time and was employed as a General Labourer.

70-year-old Maitland Hyslop, now working as a Farmer, was residing at Lochhousebank, Colvend, Kirkcudbrightshire with his wife Elizabeth and 30-year-old daughter Jane.

Elizabeth (Lizzie) and Thomas Kelly were residing at 9 Bothwell Street, Cambuslang, Lanarkshire. Thomas is recorded as a Dairyman with his own account, meaning that he was self-employed.  Five of their children were residing with them.

Farmer Samuel Hyslop died aged 78 on 16th November 1904 at West Barclay Farm in Colvend, Kirkcudbrightshire.  The cause of death was Heart Disease and his death was reported by his son-in-law, Joseph Johnson.

Andrew Hyslop died in around March 1908 in Cockermouth, Cumberland, England.

Widower Maitland Hyslop died aged 82 on 27th December 1914 in Barrhill, Dalbeattie, Kirkcudbrightshire.  His occupation was recorded as Horsebreaker.  His son-in-law James Gibson reported his death and gave the cause of death as Cerebral Apoplexy.

Elizabeth Kelly neé Hyslop, probably the last surviving child of Maitland Hyslop and Jane Smith, died on 7th May 1923 in 20 Glasgow Road, Cambuslang, Lanarkshire.  The cause of death was Senile Decay.  Her death was reported by her son, John Kelly who gave her age as 85.

Write a comment

  • Required fields are marked with *.

First | Previous | Showing comments 11 to 20 of 18462 | Next | Last
First | Previous | Showing comments 11 to 20 of 18462 | Next | Last

Related Images

  • Image 1:  Balgreggan House in 1912, seat of the Maitland family.  » Click to zoom ->

    Image 1: Balgreggan House in 1912, seat of the Maitland family.

  • Image 2: 1860 map showing location of Nimbly Farm in the parish of Kirkbean, Kirkcudbrightshire.  » Click to zoom ->

    Image 2: 1860 map showing location of Nimbly Farm in the parish of Kirkbean, Kirkcudbrightshire.

  • Image 3: Cargen Bridge in the parish of Troqueer, Kirkcudbrightshire.  » Click to zoom ->

    Image 3: Cargen Bridge in the parish of Troqueer, Kirkcudbrightshire.

  • Image 4:  1856 Map showing location of Drum Farm and Cottages in the parish of Morton, Dumfriesshire.  » Click to zoom ->

    Image 4: 1856 Map showing location of Drum Farm and Cottages in the parish of Morton, Dumfriesshire.

  • Image 5:  The village of Pathhead in the parish of New Cumnock in Ayrshire.  » Click to zoom ->

    Image 5: The village of Pathhead in the parish of New Cumnock in Ayrshire.

  • Image 6: Maitland Hyslop's signature.  » Click to zoom ->

    Image 6: Maitland Hyslop's signature.

  • Image 7: 1855 Map showing Ivy Lodge, Dumfries.  » Click to zoom ->

    Image 7: 1855 Map showing Ivy Lodge, Dumfries.

  • Image 8:  1851 map showing Jocklig Farm in Colvend parish, Kirkcudbrightshire.  » Click to zoom ->

    Image 8: 1851 map showing Jocklig Farm in Colvend parish, Kirkcudbrightshire.

  • Image 9:  1856 map showing Dumfries Royal Infirmary.  » Click to zoom ->

    Image 9: 1856 map showing Dumfries Royal Infirmary.