Thomas Kelly was born around 1839 at Moffatsland, Westmuir, Shettleston, Glasgow, Lanarkshire. His parents were John Kelly, who was a Handloom Weaver, and Anne Trainer, a Tambourer. There is not a great deal known about John Kelly at this time. He was born in Co. Tyrone, Ireland in around 1811 and before 1838 he moved to Glasgow and met Co. Down-born Catherine Craig and they married on 31st July, 1838 in the Barony District of Glasgow.
In around 1838, he met Anne Trainer, daughter of Irish-born husband and wife Thomas Trainer, Cotton Hand Loom Weaver, and Rose Ann Trainer (maiden surname Connolly), and this relationship resulted in the birth of young Thomas Trainer.
At the time of the 1841 Census (7th June), 2-year-old Thomas Trainer was residing in Camlachie with his mother Anne whose age is recorded as 20 and who earned her living as a Tambourer. Also resident were Anne's parents, Thomas Trainer (65), a Cotton Hand Loom Weaver, and his wife Rossanna, also 65.
Meanwhile, Thomas's father, Weaver John Kelly, aged 30, was residing in Westmuir in the Parish of Shettleston in Glasgow with his wife Catherine (30) and their daughter, the 2-year-old Margaret. Also resident was Catherine's 65-year-old mother, Mary O'Brien.
SHETTLESTON, lately an ecclesiastical district, in the parish of Barony, and within the jurisdiction of the city of Glasgow, county of Lanark; containing, with the villages of Westmuir and Tollcross, 7220 inhabitants, of whom 1543 are in the village of Shettleston, 3 miles (E. by S.) from Glasgow. This district, which for ecclesiastical purposes was separated by act of the General Assembly, in 1835, from the Barony parish, an arrangement now set aside, is about four miles in length and three miles in average breadth, and comprises nearly 3800 acres. The surface is varied, the soil generally fertile, and the lands in profitable cultivation. The substratum is principally coal, of which there are numerous mines in active operation; there are also quarries of good sandstone: fossils of fish, and of trees and vegetable substances, are frequently found in the coal beds. The Monkland canal passes through the northern part of the district, affording facility for conveying the produce of the collieries to Glasgow and other places. The chief village is situated on the road to Edinburgh; and there are several other villages in the district, including Tollcross, Sandyhills, Westmuir, Parkhead, and Lightburn, inhabited by persons mostly employed in agriculture, in the mines, and in hand-loom weaving. The village of Tollcross owes its origin to the Clyde iron-works, in its immediate vicinity. Tollcross House, an ancient mansion, was built about the middle of the 17th century; and there are several other mansions, of which the chief are Gartcraig, Easterhill, Dolbeth, and Sandyhills. The late quoad sacra parish was in the presbytery of Glasgow and synod of Glasgow and Ayr: the minister's stipend was £100, without either manse or glebe, paid from the seat-rents by the managers and subscribers, who were the patrons. The church, built by subscription of the several landholders, in 1752, is a neat structure containing 911 sittings. The members of the Free Church have a place of worship; and in the village of Tollcross is one for members of the Relief. There are two parochial schools, in one of which are 135 children, and in the other fifty. The late Captain Robert Tennent bequeathed £460, of which the interest is distributed among the poor.
The Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1846)
In the dwelling immediately adjacent to the Kellys in Westmuir, lived a 60-year-old Coalminer, William Moffat and his family. There is a clear possibility that the building in which he lived was the 'Moffatsland' stated to be the place of birth of young Thomas Trainer. We are therefore left to ponder the possibility that Thomas was born in, or very close to, the same residence as his father John. It suggests that John Kelly took full responsibility for Anne's 'condition' and looked after her around the time of the birth.
On Tolcross Road, close to Westmuir, was located a row of weavers cottages at 'Shinty Ha' which might have been very similar in construction to the type of dwelling house where John Kelly lived, and worked, with his family. Handloom weavers worked from home with their looms set up on the ground floor and the family living above.
At some date after this, young Thomas was taken in and subsequently raised by his father John Kelly and his wife Catherine.
At the time of the 1851 Census (31st March), John Kelly (44) is recorded as a Master Weaver residing with his wife Catherine (43) at 80 Westmuir Street, Glasgow, and there were around 22 persons living at this address, most adults being journeymen weavers. 12-year-old Thomas, now known as Thomas Kelly, and two other Kellys, Margaret, aged 12, and Elizabeth, aged 9, who were John and Catherine's daughters, were also present.
A Master Weaver, in addtion to training apprentices, took orders for cloth from merchants and sourced the required raw materials. He then allocated the work to journeymen weavers and paid them on a piecework basis.
In the 1861 Census (8th April), John Kelly's wife Catherine (55) was recorded as a widow residing at Crownpoint Street in Bridgeton. John therefore had died sometime between 1851 and 1861. As no death record has been found and it is likely that John died prior to the start of statutory registration of records in 1855. Also resident with Catherine were her daughters, Margaret (21) and Elizabeth (18), both Powerloom Weavers.
Elizabeth Hyslop was born on 18th April, 1839, near Cargen Bridge in Kirkcudbrightshire, just to the southwest of the town of Dumfries. She was the daughter of Maitland Hyslop of Stoneykirk, Wigtonshire, who earned his living as a Horsebreaker, and Jane (or Jean) Smith of Caerlaverock Parish, Dumfriesshire.
At the time of the 1841 Census (June 7th) , the 2-year-old Elizabeth was residing with her parents at Drum Farm and Cottages in Morton, Dumfriesshire. Maitland was recorded as a 35-year-old Horse Trainer and Jean was 31.
By 31st March, at the 1851 Census, Maitland and Jane had moved their family northwards and were residing at the village of Pathhead in New Cumnock, Ayrshire. Maitland declared his occupation to be a Carter. Elizabeth was 12 years old. Also resident were 8-year-old David and 4-year-old Jane.
Before 1859, Thomas Kelly moved to Ayrshire where he met Elizabeth Hyslop.
The 1861 Census (7th April) shows that Thomas was living at 59 Single Row, Eglinton Iron Works, near Kilwinning, in Ayrshire. He is shown under the name Thomas Kellay, aged 21, an unmarried Coalminer boarding with Hugh and Agnes Black and their two very young children. Living close by at 5 Cross Row, Eglinton Iron Works, was Elizabeth Hyslop, aged 22, a 'married' Agricultural Labourer who was boarding with widow Charlotte Money and her 12-year-old daughter. Also recorded at the address was a Margaret Hyslop aged 4 months and who had been born in Stevenston, Ayrshire.
Margaret had been born on 11th December, 1860, in Widow Gairdener's Lodgings, Schoolwell Street, Stevenston, Ayrshire. The birth record of Margaret Hyslop does not name the father. However, the full name of the baby girl is Margaret Kelly Hislop and we might conclude that the father was indeed Thomas Kelly. We might further speculate that Elizabeth claimed to be married in the census return in order to avoid any shame that might have been attached to giving birth to an illegitimate child.
Eglinton Ironworks, 1846-1926
The ironworks, on the site of the present-day Nethermains industrial estate, employed well over a thousand workers at its peak. The Earl of Eglinton employed the firm of Baird & Sons of Gartsherrie in Lanarkshire to build eight furnaces which went into service on Christmas Eve 1846. Iron smelting was a continuous process, and the furnaces blasted away more or less permanently.
A contemporary report talks of "...a long range of flaring furnaces, belching fire and smoke even in the middle of the night where there used to be beautiful fields, and the ground for miles about is now full of deep holes which in the wet season form vast acid lagoons...".
Lines of single-storey houses for the workers were built at the site. Double Row had 43 two-roomed houses, Brick Row had 34, and Cross Row had 15. Single Row had 60 one-roomed houses. The floors in all were made of brick tiles and tenants slept in built-in beds. Children would sleep in 'Hurly' beds, wooden boxes which when not in use were stored under the adults' beds.
There were no flushing toilets of course. Outside, there was one dry closet for every four households and one wash house for every eight. Apparently, the dry closets had two seats, meaning two persons sitting side by side could use them at the same time! As well as the Institute, the site had its own railway system to allow coal and iron to be brought in and out, a football park, a store and a school. Built in 1857, the school could take about 400 pupils, and was subsidised partly by pennies deducted from workers' wages.
It appears that the relationship between Thomas Kelly and Elizabeth Hyslop had a somewhat rocky beginning. Shortly after the time of the 1861 Census, she made her way to Glasgow and ended up briefly in Barnhill Poorhouse.
The 1845 Poor Law Amendment Act (Scotland) required larger parishes or smaller parishes in groups to build and staff a poorhouse. Barony Parish, which encompassed a large area of the north side of Glasgow, opened Barnhill Poorhouse in 1854 . At its fullest it catered for 2000 residents; the staff numbered 61 at that time. In order for the poorhouse to operate residents were required to work, the men in maintenance and workshops, the women in laundry and domestic tasks. At first children were admitted to Barnhill and there was a school but following the work of the Rev. Dr. Norman Macleod (1812-1872 ), who was Chairman of the Poorhouse's Education Committee, increasing numbers of children were boarded out, a programme of long term fostering to remote parts of the country. The first move to abolish Poorhouses came in 1928 but it was not until legislation of 1948 that they ceased to exist. In common with many others Barnhill moved in to becoming a hospital specialising in the care of the aged. In 1943 it was renamed as Forresthall Hospital and was not finally closed and subsequently demolished until the 1980s.
On 28th January, 1862, Elizabeth Hyslop made an application for Parochial Relief in the Parish of Barony in Glasgow. The application provides information about Elizabeth's circumstances at the time. Her address was recorded as CoalHill. This would have been Coalhill Street where we know that Thomas's mother, Anne Trainer, had been residing at the time of the 1861 Census, and in fact where it is stated on the application that she was still residing. Elizabeth gave her age as 24 and falsely claimed that she was married to Thomas Kelly. The cause of the application was stated to be 'Deserted'.
It seems that Elizabeth had come to Glasgow to seek the help of Thomas's mother Anne Trainer.
The narrative included on the application elaborates the circumstances...
"Thomas Kelly's wife Elizth Hislop from Poorhouse said to be residing at Coalhill Street prior to going there aged 24 years from Parish of Traqueer. Domestic prior a farm servant. Applied stating she was deserted by her husband 4 weeks ago and left with one child (viz.) Margaret 1 year born Coalhill Street. She is the daughter of Maitland Hislop Horse Breaker not known where last heard of as being in Dumfries a year ago and Jane Smith who died at Riccarton 8 years.
Husband said to be born at Parkhead a Collier the illegitimate son of Agnes Trainer a Tambourer said to be residing with Mrs Gray near Coalhill Street.
Matters came to a deadlock here on me commencing to question her as to Settlement. She did not know the Landlord's name of the property she said she resided at Camlachie or Parkhead, could not show certificate of child's birth her marriage lines, or who married stated they were with her mother in law, refused to give me her address or to answer any more of my questions, gave a good deal of impertinance and went of stating she had got plenty of the Poorhouse."
Naturally, Elizabeth would have been unable to produce a marriage certificate because she had not (yet) married Thomas Kelly. Producing young Margaret's birth certificate would have shown that the child had not been born in Barony Parish, but in Stevenston, Ayrshire and this is likely to have reduced her elegibility for assistance.
It appears from the Record that Elizabeth re-entered the Poorhouse on 3rd February, 1862. However, she was not to remain in the Poorhouse for long and it seems that Thomas Kelly and Elizabeth were to be reconciled.
On 3rd September, 1862, Elizabeth gave birth to another daughter, Jane Kelly, in Durhamtown near Bathgate. Jane was named after her maternal grandmother. On this occasion, Thomas Kelly, who registered the birth, is stated on the birth record to be the child's father. Nevertheless Thomas claims to the registrar that he had been married to Elizabeth in Saltcoats in Ayrshire in April that same year. No record of such a marriage has been found.
The 1856 map of Durhamtown shows the hamlet to be just two rows of dwellings, probably miners' rows.
About ¼ of a mile North by East from Bathgate Chemical Works. A Small Village Situated on the south side of the road leading from Bathgate to Whitburn, about one mile from the former place. It is composed of small regularly built cottages one story high and contains a Smithy and two very Small Grocers Shops. The whole of this Village has been erected since the Opening of the Mines on this district. The Property of Durham Weir, Esq. of Boghead, And is exclusively occupied by Colliers.
A report on the condition of housing in mining villages in 1910, some 50 years after the Kelly family had lived there, states
"These houses are of a very old type, and were built fully sixty years ago. They are built mostly of old rubble. The walls are rough and damp, and the floors are generally stone, very few having wood floors. They are built back to back, with ash-pits in centre, and the open sewer. There are the same conditions as to lavatory and water-closet accommodation as exist in those already described of this type. They could not be altered to bring them up to modern requirements, and the best thing that could happen would be to apply a Closing Order to them."
Although it is inevitable that the accommodation would have deteriorated since the Kellys' time, this description nevertheless reveals the construction and poor amenities of the Durhamtown miners' rows.
It is not known for certain where Thomas worked when the family lived in Durhamtown. However, the pit which was closest was Inchcross Coal Pit, and the nearby chemical works was where, in 1850, James 'Paraffin' Young (1811 - 1883) first developed and operated his patented process to produce oil from bituminous coal.
The Bathgate Chemical Works was perhaps the world's first commercial-scale oil manufactory, and the site where James Young and his partners experimented and perfected many of the fundamental technical processes of the oil industry. In 1864, when the partnership was dissolved, the works were bought by James Young and subsequently passed to Young's Paraffin Light and Mineral Oil Company. Crude oil from coal and shale were produced at the works until around1887.
Paraffin helped to make James Young a very rich man. It is interesting to think that Thomas Kelly may have helped mine the coal which made this possible. Thomas would renew his connection with Young's discovery later in life.
On 28th October, 1863, Jane Kelly, aged only 13 months, died of Tabes Mesanterica, a childhood wasting disease. The address at which the child died was given as 7 Byrehill Row, Kilwinning in Ayrshire, just across the railway tracks from Eglinton Ironworks. Thomas Kelly registered his daughter's death.
1864 sees Thomas and Elizabeth back at Eglinton Ironworks and living at 5 Cross Row, the same address at which Elizabeth and young Margaret had been lodging back in 1861. It is possible that they were still lodgers of Charlotte Money.
On 6th July of that year, John Kelly was born at that same address and was named after his paternal grandfather. On this occasion, Thomas and Elizabeth made no pretence of being married: John's birth record is clearly marked 'illegitimate'.
However, Thomas and Elizabeth were soon to move again and the couple's fourth child, Thomas Kelly, was born on 6th August, 1866 at Beech Row, Gartsherrie, near Coatbridge. The Gartsherrie Ironworks were owned and operated by William Baird & Co., the same owners as Eglinton Ironworks. Although we cannot be certain where Thomas worked, from the location of Beech Row, we might assume that he was employed at another Baird property, the Gartgill Coal Pit.
Mary Kelly was born on 21st September, 1868 in Coatbridge at Thatch Row, Gartgill, Middle District, Old Monklands, Lanarkshire.
By 25th March, 1871 when Anne Kelly was born, the Kelly family had moved yet again. It is likely that the child was named after her father's natural mother, Anne Trainer. Now they were living in Overtown, near Wishaw. Overtown was another mining village. Just 8 days later, the 1871 Census (April 3rd) shows the Kelly family living at 44 Wemyss Row, Overtown, Wishaw and consisting of Thomas (31) and Elizabeth (30), who incorrectly gave her birthplace on this occasion as Auchinleck in Ayrshire, and the children, Margaret (10) and John (6) were scholars while Thomas (4) and Mary (2) were yet to start school.
In 1910, almost 40 years after Thomas Kelly and his family lived at Wemyss Row, a report on the condition of miners' accommodation expressed the following:
At Overtown three lots of miners' dwellings were erected about 40 years ago by mine owners, and these houses are now in possession of the superior. They are of unique construction, in respect that each house has its own domestic and sanitary conveniences. The privy has an arrangement for receiving dry household refuse, and thus acts like an earth closet.
46 One-apartment houses Rental £3 12s
36 Two-apartment houses Rental £5 4s
20 One-apartment houses Rental £3 18s
13 Two-apartment houses Rental £5 4s
One storey, brick built - Roofs of Wemyss and Orchard Rows circular, covered with tarred felt, others slated - no damp-proof course - Plastered on solid - some floors brick, others wood, some ventilated - internal surface of walls and ceilings irregular, broken and damp
No overcrowding - apartments large
Gardens (not all cultivated) - scullery for each houses, with boiler for washing and coal cellar
Privy for each house
Outside sinks in front of Wemyss Row only
Drainage at others by surface channels
Gravitation water in front of houses
Scavenged at owners' expense
Maitland Kelly was born on 3rd July 1873 in Wemyss Row in Overtown and was clearly named after his mother's father, Maitland Hyslop.
Groome's Gazetteer of Scotland has the following entry for Overtown in 1885:
'Overtown, a large village in Cambusnethan parish, Lanarkshire, near a station of its own name on the Caledonian railway, 1 1/2 mile SE of Wishaw, and 3 1/2 miles NW of Carluke. Lying amid a rich mineral country, and inhabited chiefly by workers in the mineral field, it has a post office under Wishaw, a school of the Coltness Iron Co., a Roman Catholic school, St Patrick's Roman Catholic Church (1873; 200 sittings), and an Established church. The last, built in 1874 - 75 at a cost of over £2000, is an early English edifice, with a bold square tower 80 feet high, and 600 sittings. Pop. (1861) 364, (1871) 1517, (1881) 1293.'
It was while they resided at Overtown that Coal Miner Thomas Kelly and Elizabeth Hyslop took the one and a quarter mile walk from Overtown to Cambusnethan Manse, and finally tied the knot on 15th July, 1873. Witnesses on that occasion were Ada Hutton, possibly the daughter of the minister, Rev. R.S. Hutton who conducted the ceremony, and Robert Young, who was more than likely the same Robert Young, the coalminer who in 1881 resided at 13 Stone Row, Overtown. Elizabeth's occupation at the time was given as Housekeeper.
There were a number of coal pits close to Overtown where Thomas might have worked. Overtown Station Colliery, Overtown Colliery, Pather Colliery, Cambusnethan Colliery and Coltness Colliery were all within a short walk of the village of Overtown. In any case, they were also interlinked by railway lines and connected to the Coltness Ironworks close by at Newmains, so hitching a lift to and from his workplace would not have been a problem for Thomas.
Just a week after Elizabeth Hyslop married Thomas Kelly, her father Maitland Hyslop died aged 70 in Dumfries Royal Infirmary of Eryspelas of the Head. This was a rash possibly caused by infection of a wound which today would be easily treated by penicillin or other antibiotic.
By 16th March 1875, the family had moved again into Wishaw and it was on that date at 140 Stewarton Street that James Hislop Kelly was born.
On 4th December, 1875, Thomas made an application for Relief from Dalziel Parish on behalf of himself, his wife and 7 children. In the application he stated that he was a Hawker by which he was able to earn a few shillings a week. He also stated that he was Partially Disabled through Injuries from an Accident. He had been residing in Dalziel Parish for only 3 months, and prior to that in Cambusnethan Parish for 6 years and 3 months. It appears that Thomas's application was successful and he was afforded relief amounting to 5 shillings.
Almost 4 months later Thomas made another application on 21st April, 1876. This time he stated that he was a miner residing at 40 Sneddon's Rows in Wishaw, Cambusnethan where he had been residing for just 1 week prior to the application. The previous 9 months his residence had been at Rumblingsykes. Once again, Thomas's application was successful and he received the sums of 4 shillings on 21st April, 6 shillings on 24th April and finally 4 shillings on May 1st.
The family's next move was further afield, to Renfrewshire, to the Parish of Kilbarchan where Samuel Kelly was born on 22nd April, 1877, at 5 Clippens Square which was another set of miners' rows located about a mile north of Johnstone. The map below shows the location of the square configuration of miners' cottages. On this occasion, Thomas gave his occupation as Shale Miner. The pits around the Clippens area were mostly mining ironstone, with the primary goal being blackband and blueband ironstone. Shale was a by-product, and thought worthless until our old friend, James 'Paraffin' Young discovered that mineral oil could be extracted by a process of distillation and by the mid-1880's the Clippens Shale Oil Company was in full swing. Young lived for a while at the Clippens Villa. It is highly probable, given his address and occupation, that Thomas would have worked for this company. The location of the Clippens area is now Linwood, just to the north of Johnstone, in Renfrewshire.
Another child, another change of address, back to Lanarkshire - Andrew Kelly was born at 54 Watsonville, Motherwell, on 2nd December, 1879. Watsonville was another community of miners' rows.
Eldest daughter Margaret had died, aged 18, of Heart Disease at 153 Watsonville, on 24th April that same year.
The Census of 1881 (April 4th) saw the Kelly family residing at Dunsmore's Square in the Hamilton area. We have, so far, been unable to identify the exact location of Dunsmore's Square. However it is highly likely to have been another square arrangement of miners' rows. The census return shows Elizabeth, aged 39, with Thomas, aged 39, and his two eldest sons, John (16) and Thomas (14) as Coal Miners. Mary (12), Ann (10) Maitland (7) and James (6) are Scholars while Samuel (3) and Andrew (1) are still of pre-school age.
David Kelly was born on 27th December, 1881 at what the birth record appears to state as Double Row, 'Thornwood', near Uddingston in Lanarkshire. We believe that this refers to 'Thorniewood' just north of Uddingston.
Thomas and Elizabeth's last child, Elizabeth, was born on 19th February, 1884 in 3 Towie Place, Uddingston. Both Thomas and Elizabeth would have been aged about 44.
The next we know of the Kelly family is that they moved to Rutherglen, just south east of Glasgow in Lanarkshire. For on 18th January, 1887, young Maitland Kelly was killed in an accident at Wellshot No. 2 Pit, Cambuslang. This pit was located on the western side of what is now Dukes Road, between Glenside Drive and Fraser Street. The cause of death is recorded in the Mine Inspector's Report as a 'roof fall at the coalface'. Maitland had been just 13 years old. Maitland's usual residence is given as Kerr's Buildings, Eastfield, Rutherglen. His older brother, John, registered the death.
On 9th July, 1887, Thomas and Elizabeth's oldest surviving daughter 19-year-old Domestic Servant, Mary Kelly, residing at Kerr's Land, Eastfield in Rutherglen, married 20-year-old Irish-born Coal Miner Thomas McGuinness in the Catholic Church in Rutherglen. Witnesses on the occasion were Mary's brother, John, and Mary O'Neil
After the family's move to Rutherglen, young Thomas Kelly met Mary Callaghan, a Pottery Worker born and raised in Rutherglen of Irish parents, Michael Callaghan and Helen McGinn, and they had a child, Ellen, born on 20th December 1888 in Rutherglen. Coal Miner Thomas (22) and Mary (19) also married in the Catholic Chapel in Rutherglen on 18th February, 1889. Thomas's address at the time was Kerr's Land, Eastfield while Mary's address was 82 Main Street in Rutherglen. Witnesses on this occasion were John McGlade and Catherine Callaghan.
The 1891 Census (April 5th) shows the Kelly family was still residing at Kerrsland, Eastfield at the west end of Cambuslang. Thomas (50) was still a Coal Miner, as was John (26) and still living at home, and James (16), Samuel (13), Andrew (11), David (9) and Lizzie (7) were Scholars. Thomas's wife, Elizabeth, was 50 and declared her birthplace to be Dumfries and Annie (20) is recorded as a Millworker. Missing from the family roll call are Mary, now married, and Thomas, also married. Mr. Robert Kerr, a Grocer and Contractor, is shown with his family on the same page of the 1891 census record. He was the proprietor of several properties at Eastfield and Kerrsland or Kerr's Land would have been named for him.
On 24th April, 1892, Thomas's natural mother, Anne Trainer, died, aged recorded as 70, at 32 East Union Street, Camlachie, of Probable General Debility and Bronchitis.
The following day, Thomas made the trip to Camlachie to register the death. The fact that Thomas responded so quickly to his mother's passing suggests that he would have kept in fairly close touch with her.
The 1895 Propery Valuation Records place Thomas Kelly at 52 Glasgow Road between Eastfield and Cambuslang. Thomas was recorded as a Labourer.
On 1st June, 1897, 25-year-old Domestic Servant Annie Kelly, then residing at 18 Newhall Terrace in Bridgeton, married 34-year-old Coal Miner Andrew Fitzpatrick of 55 Rumford Street. The marriage took place at the Sacred Heart Chapel on Old Dalmarnock Road and the witnesses were Annie's sister Mary and her husband Thomas McGuinness.
On 3rd November, 1899, 24-year-old Coal Miner James Hislop Kelly, residing at 2 Bothwell Street in Cambuslang, married 21-year-old Cloth Finisher Ellen Queen of 7 Park Street, Cambuslang at St Bride's Chapel. Witnesses were John Kelly and Bridget McArthur.
At the time of the 1901 Census (March 31st), the Kelly family was residing at 9 Bothwell Street, Cambuslang. Thomas, age recorded as 60, was working ed as a Dairyman on his own account, meaning that he was self-employed. Elizabeth (or Lizzie to be more accurate) was 59 and declared her birthplace as Traqueer in Dumfriesshire. John (36), James (23), Samuel (21) and Andrew (19) are Coal Miners. Young Lizzie (17), the only daughter left at home, was a Dairymaid and was probably working for Thomas. Interestingly, there is another resident at 9 Bothwell Street. Mary Morn was a 14 year old Domestic Servant, born in Larkhall.
It seems that Thomas's venture into the dairy business was not to last long. The Property Valuation Records of 1905, found him residing at Burnside Buildings in Eastfield and once again his occupation was recorded as Miner. We speculate that the 'Burnside Buildings' were the 3-storey tenement buildings located on Bothwell Street and Glasgow Road as shown in the above photo. The name possibly derives from the Eastfield Burn which runs just to the west of these buildings.
On 28th April, 1908, at St. Bride's Chapel, Cambuslang, youngest son Coal Miner David Kelly, then aged 24 and residing at 92 Glasgow Road in Cambuslang married 21-year-old Laundrymaid Catherine Boyle of 2 Bothwell Street. Witnesses were John Boyle and Martha Burns.
Thomas Kelly died aged 68, at the family home, 92 Glasgow Road, Cambuslang, the entrance to which is shown on the far left of the above photo, on 23rd November, 1908, of Congestion of the Lungs and Alcoholism. The death was registered by his eldest son John.
Elizabeth Kelly, or Granny Hyslop, as she was known to her grandchildren, went on to live for another 15 years, At the 1911 Census (2nd April) she was aged 72 and residing at 12 Glasgow Road, Cambuslang with her Coal Miner sons John (43) and Andrew (26) and her 24-year-old daughter Elizabeth and 10-year-old granddaughter Elizabeth Fitzpatrick who was the daughter of Ann Kelly who had married Jedburgh-born Coal Miner Andrew Fitzpatrick in 1897.
On 14th April, 1911 24-year-old Coal Miner Samuel Kelly married 22-year-old Cotton Winder Euphemia Johnston at Sheriff Villa in Rutherglen. Both gave their address at the time of their marriage as 93 Reid Street in Bridgeton. Witnesses were James Burns and Rosetta Burns. Sheriff Villa was the private residence of the Rev. Charles W. Kennedy of Dalmarnock Parish Church who conducted the ceremony.
Andrew Kelly had emigrated to America in around 1912 and on 26th May, 1917, when he would have been 37, he married 24-year-old Scots-born Margaret Isabella Templeton in Vigo County, Indiana.
Youngest daughter 26-year-old Elizabeth Kelly and 23-year-old Coal Miner Edward Gallacher were declared married on 11th January, 1919 at 682 Gallowgate in Camlachie. Such an 'Irregular' marriage, although frowned upon by churches was not uncommon and perfectly legal. A marriage by 'Warrant of Sheriff' was a non-religious marriage unique to Scotland. The couple would testify before two witnesses, the testament would then be ratified by the local Sheriff Substitute and would then be accepted by a registrar.
Both gave their address at the time of the wedding as 20 Glasgow Road in Cambuslang which was the address of the Kelly family home at the time, albeit that the family was now reduced to John Kelly, his mother Elizabeth and, until her marriage, young Elizabeth.
It seems that the widowed Elizabeth Kelly lived with her son John until she died, aged 83, on 7th May, 1923 at 20 Glasgow Road, Cambuslang, of Senile Decay. Once again, her death was registered by her son John.
Despite the difficult start to their lives together, Thomas and Elizabeth went on to have 12 children together, three of whom pre-deceased them (Margaret, Jane and Maitland), and two of whom emigrated to America (Mary and Andrew). They were constantly on the move, no doubt gravitating to where Thomas found work and they lived the major part of their lives in the cramped conditions of miners' rows.
Thomas Kelly and Elizabeth Hyslop are buried together in St Peters Cemetery, Dalbeth, London Road, Glasgow.
*Much of this story is based on the genealogical research of Thomas Kelly's great great grandson, Maitland Kelly, whom we also thank for providing the photograph of Thomas Kelly and Elizabeth Hyslop.