Stories

Thomas Richmond (1846 - 1896) & Jane Brown (1845 - 1924)

Thomas Richmond was the eldest son of Coal Miner William Richmond and Agnes Boyd who had been married on 1st June, 1845 in Airdrie, Lanarkshire, Scotland which is where Thomas was born in around 1846. No birth record has been located.

Airdrie.-- parl. and mun. burgh and market town, New Monkland par., NE. Lanarkshire, 11 miles E. of Glasgow and 385 miles from London by rail, pop. 13,363; extensive coal and ironworks; the "blackband" ironstone is peculiar to the district; paper-making and cotton-weaving are carried on. It unites with Falkirk, Hamilton, Lanark, and Linlithgow in returning 1 member to Parliament; 5 Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-day, Tuesday.

John Bartholomew, Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887)

Thomas Richmond was the eldest son of Coal Miner William Richmond and Agnes Boyd who had been married on 1st June, 1845 in Airdrie, Lanarkshire, Scotland which is where Thomas was born in around 1846. No birth record has been located.

Some time following his 1845 marriage to Agnes Boyd, William Richmond made the decision to change his surname and adopt his mother's maiden name of 'Gemmell' as his own. We can only speculate on why William might have done this. Perhaps he had reason to fall out with his father and adopted his mother's maiden name as a form of protest. Perhaps it was simply to honour his mother's memory. Whatever the reason, up until - but not including - his death, William Richmond and his family appeared in the records with the surname Gemmell (with some spelling variations.)

Between Thomas's birth in 1846 and 1851, William and Agnes had two more children, Jane, named after her maternal grandmother, in 1849, and Margaret (paternal grandmother) in around February 1851. Both were born in Airdrie. Once again, no records have been found for these births which would allow us to confirm birthnames.

Next, we find that Willam and Agnes had moved with their young family from Airdrie to Newmains in the parish of Cambusnethan, some 7½ miles south east down the Carlisle Road via Newhouse.

At the time of the 1851 Census (31st March), William Gemmell was residing with his wife Agnes at 18 High Row, Newmains in Lanarkshire. William was aged 30 and employed as a Coal Miner, while his wife Agnes was recorded as aged 26. Also resident were their three young children, Thomas (5), Jane (3) and Margaret, aged just 1 month. All surnames in the census report were recorded as 'Gemmil'.

It is likely that William worked in a coal pit that supplied the Coltness Ironworks and High Row would have been a miners row built specifically to house the pit workers.

It is not clear how long William and Agnes resided in Newmains, however they did move back to Airdrie at least briefly, for it was there that their fourth child named William Gemmell was born on 18th October, 1855, at High Street.. On this occasion, we have located the birth record and can confirm that the child's parents are recorded as William Gemmell (35), Ironstone Miner, and Agnes Boyd (30). William registered his son's birth.

Almost 4 years on and the family had moved yet again and Lillias Gemmell was born on 23rd August, 1859 at Rumblingsykes in the parish of Dalziel in Lanarkshire. Once again, William registered his daughter's birth and his occupation was recorded as Coalminer.

Rumblingsykes was an area of the parish of Dalziel (now Motherwell and Wishaw District.) It was situated approximately in the area of Wishaw now called Shieldmuir or Craigneuk. Until the 1840s it was a rural environment. After that, the coming of coal production changed its nature and appearance, as was true of most of what is at present Motherwell and Wishaw. People came from many other parts of Scotland, from England and from Ireland to work the coal, earn a living and feed their families.

At the time of the 1861 Census (8th April), William and Agnes Gemmell had moved again and were back in Cambusnethan Parish residing at Wemysshill Orchard. William is aged 40 and employed as a Collier and Agnes is 36. Residing with them were their children, Thomas (15), also a Collier, Jean (12), Margaret (9), William (5) and Lillias (1).

William Gemmell's 1861 Census RecordWilliam Gemmell's 1861 Census RecordScotland's People

While it seems odd that the family was residing at an orchard, it is likely that they were simply occupying convenient accommodation. There were many pits in the immediate vicinity where William might have worked, but the closest was probably Cambusnethan Colliery about half a mile to the north.

Roxburgh Gemmell, named after his father's brother, was born at Goldenbank, Overtown near Wishaw on 3rd May, 1862 and William declared his occupation as Coalminer when he registered the birth.

When Agnes Gemmell was born on 29th May, 1865 at Gowkthrapple, Cambusnethan, William gave his occupation as Underground Manager and it appears that he did indeed work at Cambusnethan Colliery.

Less than one year later on 5th March, 1866, Thomas's father William died aged 46 at Gowkthrapple of a Fever from which he had suffered for 9 days. When Thomas registered the death at Wishaw, he gave his father's name as William Richmond and signed his own name as Thomas Richmond. Thomas also gave his father's parents as Thomas Richmond and --- Gemmell (forename unknown). It is interesting that the young Thomas knew that his grandfather's name was Richmond and we can only assume that he also knew of the reasons for his father's decision to change his name. Perhaps on his reporting the death to the Registrar, he was encouraged, or indeed required, to use his father's original birth name, and to admit that his own name was therefore Thomas Richmond.

William Richmond's occupation at the time of his death was recorded as Pit Manager.

Jane Brown was born in around 1846 in Airdrie (no birth record found) and was the daughter of Labourer George Brown and Airdrie-born Mary Hardie. It would appear that Jane's father George had died shortly after her birth and her mother married Irish Ironstone Miner James Wallace.

At the time of the 1851 Census (31st March), Jane (5) was residing at 21 Johnston Street with her mother, recorded as Mary Hardie (24), her step-father James Wallace (26) and a half-brother James Wallace (3). Also resident was 55-year-old Margaret Hardie, presumably Mary's mother.

James Wallace died soon after and Mary Hardie married once again. Her new husband was Coal Miner Walter Sneddon whom she married in September 1854 in New Monkland Parish.

At the time of the 1861 Census (8th April), Jane Brown (14) was residing with her mother Mary, step-father Walter Sneddon and her half-siblings at Sneddon's Rows in Cambusnethan. The rows were connected to Cambusnethan Colliery.

About 2½ years after his father's death, young Thomas Gemmell/Richmond, now aged 22 and working as a Coalminer, married 21-year-old Jane Brown at their home at 2 Sneddons Rows, Wishaw. Thomas seems now to have re-adopted Richmond as his true name as he signed the register 'Thomas Richmond' and gave his late father's name as 'William Richmond', Underground Manager. Jane Brown gave her occupation as House Keeper at the time of her marriage.

At the 1871 Census (3rd April), the newly-married Thomas Richmond was residing at 16 Russell Street, Long Row, in Wishaw. He was aged 25 and employed as a Coal Miner. His wife Jane was now 24 and they had two children, William aged 2, born 26th September 1869 and named after his paternal grandfather, and Walter, 9 months, born 17th June, 1870, and named after his maternal step-grandfather, both in Wishaw, Lanarkshire.

1859 Map of Wishaw showing Russell Street with the Rows set back from the street and fronted by the shared washhouses.1859 Map of Wishaw showing Russell Street with the Rows set back from the street and fronted by the shared washhouses.National Library of Scotland

It is reasonable to conclude that Long Row was the one on the south-east side of the Russell Street.

Wishaw was named either after 'the road through the wood' or the 'wee shaw (wood)' and has a rich history embedded in industry. The original settlement can be traced back to the 1820s where Lord Belhaven built a distillery in the open Lanarkshire countryside. The placing of this distillery was important for several reasons. Firstly, due to the water produced by a burn flowing through peat moss, which gave the whisky a delicate flavour. Secondly the distillery, and the houses for its workers, were built on the lines of one of the few Roman-era roads running through Scotland, offering an already established transport route. This small village eventually developed into the town now known as Wishaw. With the growth of the village came the growth of industry for which Wishaw, and the Glasgow Iron and Steel Company that was housed in the town, became world renowned.

Thomas and Jane Richmond's family continued to expand and on 3rd February, 1872, Mary Richmond was born at Wishaw but was to pass away less than two years later. Thomas Richmond was born on 16th October, 1873, at 16 Russell Street in Wishaw followed by John Richmond 1876, also at 16 Russell Street.

On 19th September, 1877, Thomas's mother Agnes Boyd died at his home at 16 Russell Street, Wishaw. Thomas registered the death and the Cause of Death was reported as Heart Disease.

Marion Stewart Richmond was born to Thomas and Jane Richmond in Wishaw on 20th July, 1878 and Roxburgh Richmond was born in Wishaw on 14th February, 1881.

At the time of the 1881 Census (4th April), Thomas and Jane Richmond were residing at 15 Russell Street in Wishaw. Thomas was aged 34 and employed as a Miner, while Jane was 33. Residing with them were William (12), Walter (10), Thomas (7), John (5), Marion (2) and Roxburgh, aged 6 weeks.

Thomas and Jane Richmond's next child, Agnes Boyd Richmond, was born on 29th April, 1884 at Brownlee, Carluke, Lanarkshire and their last child, Margaret Sneddon Richmond was born 24th June, 1885 also at Brownlee in Carluke. Brownlee was located about a mile south of Overtown down towards the River Clyde and was in an area very familiar to Thomas. The Brownlee Pit was nearby.

1896 Map showing Brownlee Colliery1896 Map showing Brownlee CollieryNational Library of Scotland

On 5th November, 1889, 18-year-old Miner Walter Richmond, second son of Thomas and Jane Richmond, enlisted into the Highland Light Infantry at Hamilton. Intriguingly, he enlisted under the name Walter Gemmell, creating an echo of his grandfather William and father Thomas who, in the official records at least, went by the surname Gemmell for many years. When Walter enlisted he also stated that his father's name was Thomas Gemmell, although his father had been using the surname Richmond ever since his own father's death. This brings us no closer to understanding the family's reasons for the name change.

At the time of the 1891 Census (5th April), Thomas and Jane Richmond had returned to Wishaw from Brownlee and they were residing at 55 Marshall Street, a little to the west of Russell and Hill Streets. Thomas was 45 and still working as a Coal Miner, while Jane was 44. William (22), Thomas (16) and John (14) were also Coal Miners. Marion (12), Roxburgh (10), Agnes (7) and Maggie (5) were Scholars. Meanwhile, second eldest son Walter was residing at the Citadel Barracks in Hougham, Kent under the name Private Walter Gemmell.

On 24th June, 1892, Thomas and Jane's eldest son23-year-old Coal Miner William Richmond, residing at McQueen's Land married 25-year-old Maggie Martin at her home od 24 Orchard Row in Cambusnethan. Maggie was the daughter of late Coal Miner Robert Martin and Margaret Gemmell (no established relation.)

On 16th September, 1892, Pte Walter Gemmell was posted to India with his regiment and participated in campaigns on the North West Frontier.

Thomas Richmond, eldest son of William Richmond and Agnes Boyd, died at 55 Marshall Street, Wishaw on 29th October, 1896, age recorded as 51 and occupation Coal Miner. The cause of death was Chronic Bronchitis from which he had been suffering for four years. His death was reported to the Registrar by his son, William Richmond, who was residing at the time at Albert Square on Main Street in Cambuslang, Lanarkshire.

1896 Map of Marshall Street in Wishaw.1896 Map of Marshall Street in Wishaw.National Library of Scotland

On 8th May, 1897, Pte. Walter Richmond signed a declaration that he had enlisted under a name (Walter Gemmell) that was incorrect. There is no evidence that any disciplinary code had been breached.

William Richmond's Declaration

On 18th November, 1898, Thomas and Jane Richmond's fourth son 21-year-old Hammerman John Richmond of Smith's Land, Shand Street married 24-year-old Dressmaker Jeanie Pollock Hinshelwood at her home 33 Young Street in Wishaw. John stated his name to be John McLachlan Richmond although his birth record had not stated a middle name. John's aunt, Jane Richmond, had married John McLachlan in Wishaw in 1868 and perhaps Thomas's son John adopted his full name in his honour.

On 28th March, 1898 Pte. Walter Richmond was posted back home to the United Kingdom and on 28th April, 1899 he married Annie McGill in the Lesser Town Hall in Wishaw. Oddly, he declared at the time that his occupation was Spirit Merchant's Assistant. Perhaps he took such a position while on extended leave from the Army. One of the witnesses to the marriage was Walter's younger brother, Thomas. However, on 23rd October, 1899 Walter was on the move again when he was posted to South Africa where the Boer War was in its earliest stages.

At the time of the 1901 Census (31st March), Jane Richmond, Thomas's widow, was residing at 191 Main Street in Wishaw. She was 55 years old and gave her occupation as House Keeper. Residing with her were Thomas (27), working as a Blacksmith, Rockie (20), a Coal Dross Washer and Agnes (19), a Domestic Servant.

Her eldest son, William, was residing at Victoria Buildings, Greenlees Road in Cambuslang with his wife and family. William was 32 and employed as a Sewing Machine Agent, while his wife Maggie was 34. Residing with them were Maggie (7), Thomas (6), both Scholars and Jane (4) and Robert (2).

Second son Walter was of course serving with the HLI in South Africa. However, his wife Annie, working as a Fruiterer, was residing at Hill Street in Wishaw with their 1-year-old daughter Jeanie.

Fourth son John, aged 24 and employed as a Hammerman, was residing with his wife Jeanie (26) at 202a Caledonian Road in Wishaw. With them was their 11-month-old son Thomas and Jeanie's 47-year-old mother Margaret Hinshelwood, employed as a Dressmaker.

Marion Stewart Richmond (22) had moved far from home and was employed as a Parlourmaid at the home of 31-year-old Scots-born Medical Practitioner Andrew Buchanan Blair and his wife at "Eversleigh", East Street, Banwell in Somerset, England.

On 28th August, 1902, Pte. Walter Richmond returned home from South Africa, and 7 days later was discharged from the Army having served for over 12 years and having seen considerable significant action.

At the time of the 1911 Census (2nd April), Jane Richmond (recorded as 'Jeanie') and aged 64 was residing with her son Thomas (37) who was Head of Household at 221 Low Main Street and was employed as a Blacksmith's Hammerman in Wishaw. The census return indicated that he was employed by a company of Railway Carriage and Wagon Builders. This company would have been R. Y. Pickering and Co. of Wishaw.

In 1864, John Pickering, originally from Yorkshire, England, chose Netherton, Wishaw, North Lanarkshire, Scotland, as the site for his wagon works. His son, Robert Young Pickering (1841-1932) took over the business in 1878 . Activities at that date included wagon repair and hire but, increasingly, Robert Pickering became involved in the building of new wagons, steel framed from about 1897, expanding the business to include a second depot at Rawyards, Airdrie, North Lanarkshire. By the late 1880s however, Pickering was in need of further capital for his ventures. So, he converted the company into a limited company as R Y Pickering & Co Ltd in 1888 with himself as managing director.

jisc.ac.uk

R. Y. Pickering AdR. Y. Pickering Adgracesguide.co.uk

1896 Map showing Railway Wagon Works in Wishaw1896 Map showing Railway Wagon Works in WishawNational Library of Scotland

William Richmond (42) was residing at 11 Glasgow Road in Cambuslang, Lanarkshire with his wife Maggie (44) and 4 children, Maggie (17), Thomas (16), Jane (14) and Robert (12). William was employed as a Bootmaker's Traveller. His wife was a 'Monthly Nurse', i.e. a woman who looks after a mother and her baby during the postpartum or postnatal period. The phrase is now largely obsolete. Young Maggie and Jane were Carpet Finishers while Thomas was a Bootmaker's Apprentice.

Report on Walter Richmond Assault

Walter Richmond (40) was residing at 114 Main Street, Wishaw with his wife Annie (38) and their 6 children. Jeanie (11), Thomas (8), Walter (6), Roxburgh (5), Jessie (3) and Annie (2). Walter was employed as a Blacksmith's Striker. On 2nd July, 1911, Annie had another girl, Agnes Williamina Richmond, born in Wishaw.

Life wasn't always sweet for Walter and Annie Richmond. In September 1911 Walter appeared in court charged with assaulting Annie. This was not the first occasion that Walter had assaulted his wife. On 6th June 1910, he had spent 30 days in prison for a similar offence.

Tragically, Annie Richmond née McGill died less than 6 months later on 10th January, 1912, at 114 Main Street. The Cause of Death was Meningeal Haemorrhage and Walter was left with 7 young children to care for.

John Richmond (35) was residing with his wife Jeanie (36) and their family at 35 East Thornlie Street in Wishaw. Their children were Thomas (11), George (8), John (7), Margaret (4) and Jeanie (2). Thomas was employed as an Iron Forger at a Railway Wagon Works, most likely the same employer as his elder brother Thomas.

Domestic Servant Agnes Boyd Richmond, aged 18 although recorded as 20, married 23-year-old Railway Goods Guard Thomas McIlwain at the family home of 191 Main Street in Wishaw on 11th March, 1903. Agnes's residence at the time was 2 Chester Street in Shettleston, presumably the home of her employer. Thomas's address was 16 Wellshot Road, also in Shettleston although he had been born in Carluke and had lived for most of his childhood in Wishaw. Oddly, Agnes incorrectly stated that her mother's name was Jane Boyd and not Jane Brown.

Marion Stewart Richmond had married Gardener Henry Lancaster on 7th September, 1905 at Banwell in Somerset. At the time of the 1911 Census she was residing with her husband at High Street, Banwell, Weston Super Mare, Somerset.

Domestic Servant Margaret Sneddon Richmond aged 21 married 25-year-old Aberdeen-born Wire Drawer Duncan McKenzie at the Shepherd's Hall, Main Street, Wishaw on 26th August, 1907. Agnes's address at the time was 25½ Belhaven Terrace in Wishaw, whereas Duncan had come from further afield - 26 Cramer Terrace, Gateshead-on-Tyne in England. At the time of the 1901 Census, Steel Worker Duncan had been residing at the home of his brother George in Wishaw at Marshall Place on Marshall Street and we can assume that Margaret and Duncan had been acquainted before he moved to Gateshead.

At the time of the 1911 Census (2nd April), Agnes McIlwain, recorded as 28 although actually 26, was residing at 54 East Quarry Street with her husband Thomas (32) who was now employed as a Crane Driver. Also resident were their three children William (7), born in Camlachie, Glasgow, Jane Brown (5) and Marion Richmond (3), both born in Cambusnethan.

Records show that Agnes was to remain resident in Wishaw on Caledonian Road until at least 1950.

At the time of the 1911 Census (2nd April), Margaret McKenzie (25) was residing at 154 Woodbourne Road, Attercliffe, Sheffield. Her husband Duncan (29) was still employed as a Wire Drawer. Also resident were sons Duncan (2), born in Gateshead, and Thomas (1 month), born in Attercliffe.

Thomas and Jane Richmond's third son Coal Miner Thomas (37) married Wishaw born-and-bred girl, Catherine Mullen (34) on 22nd June, 1911 at the Manse on Belhaven Terrace in Wishaw. She was the daughter of Colliery Fireman James Mullen and Margaret Campbell, both Irish-born. At the time of her marriage, Catherine already had a 13-year-old daughter Agnes Mullen who had been born on 11th August, 1897 by an unknown father.

Thomas and Catherine Richmond's first child Margaret Campbell Richmond was born on 31st December, 1913 at 242 Caledonian Road in Wishaw, located very close to the Railway Wagon Works. However, they were soon to move to Rutherglen where Jane Richmond was born at 19 Bouverie Street on 12th April, 1916. Martha Simpson Richmond was born next on 7th July, 1918 and finally Walter Richmond was born on 19th June, 1920, both at 19 Bouverie Street.

A mere 18 months later, on 17th December, 1921, Thomas Richmond, third son of William Richmond and Jane Brown, died at 19 Bouverie Street in Rutherglen. He had been employed as a Hammerman. The cause of death was Acute Rheumatism and Heart Disease. His death was reported to the Registrar by Frank Law, his stepson-in-law, residing at 21 Baker Street, Shawlands in Glasgow.

At the outbreak of WWI, widower Walter Richmond, then aged 44, re-enlisted for the HLI Army Reserve of 5th September, 1914. He was posted 'At Home' until 5th January, 1915 when he was posted to the Expeditionary Force in France. There he remained, presumably on active service until 3rd September, 1915 when he was posted back home. On 28th July, 1916, Walter, then aged 46, was discharged from the Army on the grounds that he was no longer physically fit for War Service.

It is not at all clear what happened to Walter's seven young children while he served for the second time with the HLI. There is one exception to this. On his Army Service Record, he stated that his next-of-kin was his son Thomas Richmond, who would have been 12 or so years old. The address given for young Thomas was given as Queen Victoria School in Dunblane.

Built through subscriptions from serving personnel and other interested parties, Queen Victoria School was created in memory of those who had died in the South African wars of the late 19th Century. At that time for boys only, it was opened on September 28th, 1908 by King Edward VII; at this time he also laid the foundation stone for the School Chapel. It is Scotland's memorial to Queen Victoria.

The original plans and purpose for the school were to provide support and education for those who were left fatherless as a result of the Boer Wars. The idea for the School was proposed to Queen Victoria after similar provisions were being provided in England and Ireland. She gave her support, and, although the school was completed and opened after her death, the school subsequently was named in her honour.

The initial concept was to build the School in, or close to, Edinburgh or Glasgow, but, in the absence of agreement which of the two would be the better home for the school, it was decided that Dunblane, virtually equidistant between the two cities, would be a good compromise. At the time of its construction, Dunblane locals named the somewhat austere building "the Jam Factory".

Money to provide for the building was raised by soldiers giving up a day's pay, and by support from local authorities and businesses across Scotland.

www.qvs.school

Queen Victoria School, Dunblane in early 20th CenturyQueen Victoria School, Dunblane in early 20th Centurywww.qvs.school

Queen Victoria School Dining Room 1914Queen Victoria School Dining Room 1914www.qvs.school

Whether young Thomas's two younger brothers, Walter and Roxburgh, were boarding with him is unknown. However, as the school in those times only admitted boys, we can be sure that the girls were being cared for elsewhere.

On 24th November, 1917, at 21 Campbell Street, Hammerman Walter Richmond (47) residing at 43 Caledonian Road married Abigail Tinto (36), of 11 Kirk Road in Wishaw. The marriage was 'By Declaration', the equivalent of today's civil ceremony.

Meanwhile, John and Jeanie Richmond had moved from Wishaw to the southside of Glasgow. It was there that they received the dreadful news about their young son George.

1917 Notice of the drowning of George Allan Richmond1917 Notice of the drowning of George Allan RichmondAncestry.com

At this time, John Richmond was still employed as Forger (Iron). He would soon move his residence to 71 Cathcart Road. On 29th March, 1929 at the time of his daughter Jeanie's marriage, he is recorded as being employed as a Church Officer. His daughter's marriage was conducted by C.S. Sleigh, Minister of the United Free Church Caledonian Road and it is not unreasonable to conclude that it was at that church that John carried out his duties as Church Officer.

United Free Church Caledonian Road 1917United Free Church Caledonian Road 1917National Library of Scotland

On 4th October, 1924, the late Thomas Richmond's widow Jane Richmond née Brown died at 191 Main Street in Wishaw. The Cause of Death was recorded as Chronic Bronchitis, Influenza and Cardiac Dilation. Her son Walter, residing at 11 Kirk Road reported the death. It appears that her son Roxburgh had resided with Jane until her death. Roxburgh certainly became the tenant at 191 Main Street following his mother's death.

Boiler Fireman Roxburgh Richmond (54) residing at 347 Main Street married 52-year-old widow Elizabeth Milligan of 15 Onelow Drive, Dennistoun in Glasgow on 3rd January, 1936 at the Manse in Wishaw. Elizabeth's first husband was William Richmond, a cousin of Roxburgh, being the son of Roxburgh's uncle William Richmond.

Catherine Richmond née Mullen, widow of Thomas Richmond, died on 18th December, 1937 at 1301 Govan Road, Govan, Lanarkshire - the address of the then Southern General Hospital, now reincarnated as the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital. Catherine's usual address at the time was 86 Riverford Road, Glasgow. The cause of death was Cardiac Failure and Myocarditis. Her death was reported by her son Walter Richmond of the same address.

It is believed that Margaret's McKenzie's husband Duncan died aged 50 in Sheffield in 1930. In 1939, Margaret, now aged 54, was residing at 933 Penistone Road in Sheffield. Residing with her were two of her sons, Thomas (27), a Wire Drawer and Roxburgh (21), a Cabinet Maker.

Walter Richmond, second son of Thomas Richmond and Jane Brown, died aged 69 on 14th April, 1940 at 103 Glasgow Road, Wishaw, Lanarkshire. The Cause of Death was Myocarditis and General Anasarca and his death was reported by his daughter, Minnie Richmond. The Wishaw Press carried an obituary on Friday 19 April 1940 from which we learn that during the Boer War he had been taken prisoner by De Wet and was set free as the result of an attack by a Highland Division.

The obituary can be downloaded at the end of this story.

On 27th February, 1942 in Levern Manse, Nitshill, Glasgow, Walter Richmond, son of Thomas Richmond and Catherine Mullen, employed as a Slater and residing at 192 Brock Road, Househillwood, Glasgow, married Sarah White McLellan, Textile Worker of 87 Housewoodhill Crescent, Pollok, Glasgow. She was the daughter of James McLellan and Margaret McDermott and was born on 2nd August, 1922 at 33 Rosendale Road, Eastwood. At the time of his marriage, Walter was serving in the Second World War as a Gunner in an Anti Tank Regiment.

John Richmond, fourth son of Thomas Richmond and Jane Brown, died aged 77 on 9th May, 1953 at 235 Hospital Street. The Cause of Death was Myocardial Degeneration and Cholecystitis. His death was reported by his daughter Margaret Monney of 16 Hickman Street in Glasgow who gave his occupation as Church Officer (Retired).

Margaret Sneddon McKenzie née Richmond ninth child of Thomas Richmond and Jane Brown died aged 68 in Sheffield in late 1953.

On 2nd January, 1961 Marion Stewart Lancaster née Richmond, sixth child of Thomas Richmond and Jane Brown died aged 82 at Banwell, Somerset and was buried in Banwell Churchyard.

Agnes Boyd McIlwain née Richmond, eighth child of Thomas Richmond and Jane Brown, died on 16th May, 1965 at 17 Kirkton Road in Cardross, Dunbartonshire, very likely the home of her daughter Marion. The Cause of Death was Generalised Arteriosclerosis and the death was reported by her son Thomas McIlwain of 59 York Street in Wishaw. Thomas stated that Agnes's mother's name was Jane Boyd, perpetuating the error his mother made at the time of her marriage.

Roxburgh (Rockie) Richmond, seventh and last surviving child of Thomas Richmond and Jane Brown, died aged 88 on 16th October, 1969 in Wishaw Hospital. The Cause of Death was Myocardial Degeneration and General Arteriosclerosis and his death was reported by his widow Bessie Richmond.

Downloads