William Richmond was born on 13th March, 1821 at Carmel, Kilmaurs, Ayrshire, Scotland and was the tenth and last child of Thomas Richmond and Margaret Gemmell. Thomas and Margaret had married in around 1800 at Waterpark, a farm in Kilmaurs Parish, about a mile south of Kilmaurs, where Margaret had been born on 10th July, 1783.
Over the 20 or so years following their marriage, Thomas and Margaret Richmond had 10 children, all but one of whom were born in Kilmaurs parish. Thomas was a Coal Miner and in the 18th and later centuries the locality was a highly industrialised coal mining district.
Kilmaurs was both the name of a town and a parish in Ayrshire. Pigot's Directory, a trade directory of 1837, described them in the following terms:
KILMAURS, a small town, a burgh of Barony, and capital of the parish of its name, in the district of Cunningham, two miles from Kilmarnock, is situate on the right bank of a rivulet, called Kilmaur's water, or "Carmel water", it was erected into a burgh of barony by James V, at the insistence of Cuthbert, Earl of Glencairn, and his son, Lord Kilmaurs. The government of the town invested in two bailies (chosen annually by the portioners), before whom debts may be recovered. Kilmaurs is composed principally of one street, in the middle of which is a small town house with a steeple and clock. Formerly this place was somewhat noted for the manufacture of clasp knives , or "whittles" - the sharpness of the edge of which instruments gave rise in Ayrshire to a jocular expression of comparison : a man of acute understanding, and quickness of action, is said to be "as sharp as a Kilmaurs whittle". The most prominent trades now are those of shoemaking and weaving, for the Glasgow and Paisley markets. Coals are mined in the parish, the surface of which consists of large level fields, interspersed with gentle declivities and elevations; the summits of the latter are well wooded, and the whole district has a pleasing appearance.
We believe that William Richmond's 1821 recorded birthplace of Carmel, was in fact Waterpark Farm as many of Thomas and Margaret's children were recorded as having been born at Waterpark or Carmel. The map, which indicates an alternative, and similar-sounding, name of 'Carmyle', adds further strength to this inference. There were coal pits at Plan and Busbie Collieries about a mile to the south west where Thomas may have worked.
At the time of the 1841 Census (7th June), Thomas, apparently now a Widower, was residing at East Gatehead, Kilmaurs Parish about 2 miles south of Waterpark. He was recorded as being 60 years old (actually 65) and was still employed as a Coal Miner. On 28th August, 1841, Thomas married for the second time. His second wife was 42-year-old Elizabeth Muir, widow of James Orr, with whose family he had been residing at the time of the census.
On 3rd November, 1841 at Kilmaurs, Thomas and Elizabeth had a son named Thomas. It is believed that this Thomas emigrated to Australia sometime after 1861.
We have been unable to locate William Richmond in the 1841 Census (7th June) when he would have been 20 years old. However, what is clear is that William moved away from his rural birthplace in Ayrshire and settled in the fast developing industrial county of Lanarkshire.
It was there that William Richmond married Cotton Factory Worker Agnes Boyd on 1st June, 1845 in the parish of New Monkland. She was the daughter of Handloom Weaver Thomas Boyd and Jeanie Munro. Agnes was born on 2nd May, 1824 in New Monkland. At the time of the 1841 Census, the 16-year-old Agnes had been residing with her parents and family at Chapel Street in Airdrie.
William followed his father's occupation as a Coal Miner and he would have found no shortage of opportunity to pursue his trade in New Monkland.
A contemporary account of the town of Airdrie is as follows:
AIRDRIE, a burgh and market-town, in the parish of New, or East Monkland, Middle ward of the county of Lanark, 32 miles (W. by S.) from Edinburgh; containing 12,418 inhabitants, and comprising the late quoad sacra parishes of High Church, and East, South, and West Airdrie, in which are respectively 1983, 2556, 4666, and 3213 persons. This place, which is comparatively of recent origin, is advantageously situated on the road from Glasgow to Edinburgh, and appears to have been indebted for its rise to the numerous mines of coal and ironstone with which the parish and adjoining district abound, and which, within the last half century, have been wrought with increased assiduity and profit. Its situation within a moderate distance of the capital and other principal towns, with which it has facility of intercourse, by means of the Monkland canal, and good turnpike-roads, has rendered it important as a place of trade, and as the residence of numerous persons engaged in collieries and mines; and it is rapidly increasing in population and prosperity. The town is regularly built; the houses are of neat appearance, and the streets are well paved, lighted with gas, and watched, under the provisions of an act of 1 and 2 Geo. IV. A theatre, likewise, is supported by the inhabitants. The principal trade carried on in the town, is that of weaving, in which many persons are employed; and a large cotton factory has been recently established, which affords constant occupation to a large number, in spinning, carding, and other branches of the manufacture. There are a tan-work, brewery, and extensive distillery. The Monkland canal, passing by the town, affords ready communication with Glasgow, to which place coal is likewise forwarded by the Ballochney railroad, which joins those of Kirkintilloch and Garnkirk; and great quantities of coal and mineral produce are also conveyed to the Clyde and Forth canal, whence they are forwarded, eastward to Edinburgh, and westward to Greenock. The market, which is well supplied, and numerously attended, is on Thursday; and fairs, chiefly for cattle, are held generally about the end of May and the middle of November.
At some time following his 1845 marriage to Agnes Boyd, William Richmond made the decision to change his surname and adopt his mother's maiden name as his own. We are at a loss to understand why he would do this. Perhaps he had reason to fall out with his father and adopted his mother's maiden name as a form of protest. Perhaps it was simply to honour his mother's memory. Whatever the reason, up until - but not including - his death, William Richmond appeared in the records as William Gemmell (or with some spelling variation.)
In 1846, William and Agnes's eldest child Thomas was born in Airdrie, Lanarkshire. No birth record has been found and we do not know whether young Thomas's surname was recorded as Richmond or Gemmell. Thomas could have been named after either or both of William and Agnes's fathers. Next came Jane, named after her maternal grandmother in 1849, and Margaret (paternal grandmother) in around February, 1851. Both were born in Airdrie, the major town in the parish of New Monkland, Lanarkshire.
We have placed William in Airdrie for at least 6 years and probably more if we allow some 'courting' time prior to his marriage in 1845. Next, however, we find that he had moved with his family to Newmains in Lanarkshire, some 7½ miles south east down the Carlisle Road via Newhouse.
At the time of the 1851 Census (31st March), William "Gemmell" is residing with his wife Agnes at 18 High Row, Newmains in the Parish of Cambusnethan, Lanarkshire. William is aged 30 and is employed as a Coal Miner, while his wife Agnes is recorded as aged 26. Also resident are their three young children, Thomas (5), Jane (3) and Margaret (1 month), all Airdrie-born. All surnames in the census report are recorded as Gemmell.
Founded in 1837 the Coltness Iron Company was one of the first large-scale enterprises to take advantage of the Wishaw and Coltness Railway, which linked Wishaw with Coatbridge. The iron company was begun by Henry Houldsworth to exploit reserves of coal and ironstone found on the Coltness estate near Newmains, Lanarkshire.
Houldsworth was a cotton mill owner from Manchester who had moved to Glasgow and established first a mill and then a foundry there. The Anderston Foundry was so successful that he abandoned milling to concentrate on this new enterprise. Regular visits to the Lanarkshire ironworks that supplied iron for his foundry encouraged Houldsworth to enter the industry.
This was at a time of great change in the pig iron industry with the recent invention in Scotland of the Hot Blast Process that greatly improved the efficiency of blast furnaces. The nature of the local mineral reserves made Lanarkshire particularly well-placed to benefit from this innovation. Henry's sons soon took over the running of the business when his health began to fail. William Houldsworth would go on to found the Dalmellington Iron Company in Ayrshire a few years later.
By 1842 the Coltness works was able to benefit from the arrival of the railway. The northern end of the line connected with the Monkland Canal and the recently-built public railways that had come to both serve and compete with the waterway. The Coltness Iron Company was to become a major coal owner not just in Scotland but also in England, spreading further afield as local reserves of coal were worked out.
It is likely that William worked in a coal pit that supplied the Coltness Ironworks and High Row would have been a miners row built specifically to house the coal and iron workers.
Meanwhile, William's father, Thomas Richmond, recorded as aged 74 and a Retired Coal Miner, was still residing in Ayrshire at 16 Laigh Holmes, Kilmarnock, about a mile due east of East Gateside, with his second wife Elizabeth (53) and their son Thomas (9). Many of their neighbours were coal miners and it appears that these dwellings were for the exclusive use of pit workers and their families.
Thomas Richmond died soon after this and it is likely to have been before January 1855 when statutory records began, as we have been unable to locate his death record. Nevertheless, it is highly likely that he died at Laigh Holmes which is just to the south of Kilmarnock. His wife Elizabeth continued to reside there until her death in 1872.
Meanwhile, back in Lanarkshire, Thomas's son William and his family had moved back to Airdrie from Newmains and it was there that on 18th October, 1855, at High Street in Airdrie, young William Gemmell was born. On this occasion, we have located the birth record and can confirm that the child's parents are recorded as William Gemmell (35), Ironstone Miner, and Agnes Boyd (30). William registered his son's birth. The birth record confirms that prior to young William's birth, William and Agnes had had 1 boy and two girls still living, and 1 girl now deceased.
Almost 4 years on and the family had moved yet again and Lillias Gemmell was born on 23rd August, 1859 at Rumblingsykes in the parish of Dalziel, still in Lanarkshire. Once again, William registered his daughter's birth and his occupation was recorded as Coalminer.
Rumblingsykes was an area of the parish of Dalziel (now Motherwell and Wishaw district). It was situated approximately in the area of Wishaw now called Shieldmuir or Craigneuk. Until the 1840s it was a rural environment. After that, the coming of coal production changed its nature and appearance, as was true of most of what is at present Motherwell and Wishaw. People came from many other parts of Scotland, from England and from Ireland to work the coal, earn a living and feed their families.
At the time of the 1861 Census (8th April), William and Agnes Gemmell had moved again and were back in Cambusnethan Parish residing at Wemysshill Orchard. William is aged 40 and employed as a Collier and Agnes is 36. Residing with them were their children, Thomas (15), also a Collier, Jean (12), Margaret (9), William (5) and Lillias (1).
While it may seem odd that the family was residing at an orchard, it is likely that they were simply occupying convenient accommodation. There were many pits in the immediate vicinity where William might have worked, but the closest was Cambusnethan Colliery about half a mile to the north.
Roxburgh Gemmell was born at Goldenbank, Overtown near Wishaw on 3rd May, 1862 and William declared his occupation as Coalminer when he registered the birth. The child was named after his father's older brother Roxburgh Richmond who had been born at Waterpark Farm on 18th March, 1806, and named apparently in honour of the Rev. John Roxburgh who was the minister of Kilmaurs Parish Church from 1806 through to 1835.
When Agnes Gemmell was born on 29th May, 1865 at Gowkthrapple, Cambusnethan, William gave his occupation as Underground Manager and it appears that he did indeed work at the nearby Cambusnethan Colliery.
Less than one year later on 5th March, 1866, William died aged 46 at Gowkthrapple of a Fever from which he had suffered for 9 days. When his eldest son Thomas registered the death at Wishaw, he gave his father's name as William Richmond and signed his own name as Thomas Richmond. Thomas also gave his father's parents as Thomas Richmond and --- Gemmell (forename unknown). It is interesting that the young Thomas knew that his grandfather's name was Richmond and we can only assume that he also knew of the reasons for his father's decision to change his name. Perhaps on his reporting the death to the Registrar, he was encouraged, or indeed required, to use his father's original birth name, and to admit that his own name was therefore Thomas Richmond.
William Richmond's occupation at the time of his death was recorded as Pit Manager.
William's untimely death at age 46, put Agnes and her family into immediate financial difficulty and on 2nd April, 1866 she applied for Poor Relief
On the 9th of the same month Agnes received relief of 5 shillings.
It is notable that Agnes and her four dependent children were referred to using the surname 'Richmond'.
About 2½ years later, on 11th September, 1968, young Thomas Richmond, now aged 22 and working as a Coalminer, married 21-year-old Jane Brown at their shared residence at 2 Sneddons Rows, Wishaw. Thomas seems now to have re-adopted Richmond as his true surname as he signed the register 'Thomas Richmond' and gave his late father's name as 'William Richmond', Underground Manager. Jane Brown, who gave her occupation as House Keeper at the time of her marriage, was the daughter of George Brown, Labourer, and Mary Hardie and had been born in Airdrie.
Although not annotated on the above map showing Cambusnethan Colliery, Sneddon's Rows were the rows marked immediately to the east of the Colliery. Cambusnethan Colliery was owned by James Sneddon and the miners' accommodation would have been identified with his name.
Even if Thomas had reverted to the surname Richmond, this was not yet the case for all of his siblings. At the 1871 Census (3rd April), Thomas's mother, recorded as Agnes Boyd, was residing at 28 Sneddons Row. In Scotland it was not uncommon for a widowed woman to revert to her maiden name. She was recorded as 46 years old. Residing with her were William (15), employed as a Coal Miner, and Roxburgh (8) and Agnes (6), both Scholars. All of Agnes's children were recorded with surname 'Gemmil'. Also resident was a new addition to the family, 2-year-old Mary Gemmil, who had been born in 1868 to Agnes in Wishaw by an unknown father. In fact the birth record states that Mary Richmond Boyd had been born at 28 Sneddon's Rows on 12th November, 1869. Lillias, who would have been 12 years old is not present.
Meanwhile, newly-married Thomas Richmond was residing at 16 Russell Street, Long Row, in Wishaw. He was aged 25 and employed as a Coal Miner. His wife Jane was now 24 and they had two children, William aged 2, born on 26th September, 1869 and Walter, 9 months, born on 17th June, 1870, both in Wishaw, Lanarkshire.
Wishaw was named either after 'the road through the wood' or the 'wee shaw (wood)' and has a rich history embedded in industry. The original settlement can be traced back to the 1820s where Lord Belhaven built a distillery in the open Lanarkshire countryside. The placing of this distillery was important for several reasons. Firstly, due to the water produced by a burn flowing through peat moss, which gave the whisky a delicate flavour. Secondly the distillery, and the houses for its workers, were built on the lines of one of the few Roman-era roads running through Scotland, offering an already established transport route. This small village eventually developed into the town now known as Wishaw. With the growth of the village came the growth of industry for which Wishaw, and the Glasgow Iron and Steel Company that was housed in the town, became world renowned.
Also residing in Wishaw at this time was Thomas's sister Jane who had married Pit Sinker John McLachlan in Cambusnethan on 4th September, 1868. At the 1871 Census they were residing at 16 Hill Street with their 2-year-old daughter Agnes who had been born on 16th August 1868. Hill Street was adjacent to Russell Street where her brother Thomas was residing.
William and Agnes's second daughter, Domestic Servant Margaret Richmond, then 19 and residing at Sneddon's Rows had married Coal Miner James Chapman residing at Hill Street in Wishaw on 22nd October, 1869 and at the time of the 1871 Census they were residing at Brown's Land, Cambusnethan with their son, 1-year-old John. The address does little to help us locate their residence as this form of address in Scotland simply indicated that the dwelling was owned or managed by a Mr. Brown.
Agnes Boyd or Richmond's financial difficulties had not disappeared and on 30th January, 1873 she was to apply for Poor Relief for the second time.
Poignantly, especially as they were now in the depths of winter, Agnes made a specific application for boots for both Roxburgh (10) and Agnes (8). It is not clear from the paperwork how the application was dealt with. It was nevertheless noted that Agnes was 'offered the Poorhouse' a few days later.
In May, 1877, Agnes again applied for Poor Relief apparently on the grounds that she was 'Wholly' disabled.
On this occasion Agnes was afforded relief of 3 shillings.
On 19th September, 1877, Agnes Richmond née Boyd died at her son Thomas's home at 16 Russell Street in Wishaw. Thomas registered the death and the Cause of Death was reported as Heart Disease from which she had been suffering for 12 months.
William and Agnes's second son 24-year-old Coal Miner, William Richmond residing at McDades's Land, Lilybank Buildings in Cambuslang married 27-year-old Dairymaid Mary Smith at Cambuslang on 13th February, 1880.
At the time of the 1881 Census (4th April), Thomas and Jane Richmond were residing at 15 Russell Street in Wishaw. Thomas was aged 34 and employed as a Miner, while Jane was 33. Residing with them were William (12), Walter (10), Thomas (7), John (5), Marion (2) and Roxburgh, aged 6 weeks.
Meanwhile, William and Agnes's eldest daughter Jane McLachlan and her family had also moved to Cambuslang where they were residing at Lilybank Buildings on Main Street, clearly very close to her brother William. Jane was 32 years old and stated to be the head of the household as her husband John was absent. Quite possibly he was on night shift and missed the census count. Resident with her were Alex (9) and Annie (7) who were both Scholars, and John (4), all of whom had been born in Wishaw, and 1-year-old Lillie, born in Cambuslang. Two additional residents that census night were Jane's brother and sister, Roxburgh Richmond (17) employed as a Coal Miner, and Agnes Richmond (15) who was a Turkey Red Dye Worker. Eldest daughter Agnes McLachlan was working as a Domestic Servant at 4 Mill Street in Rutherglen, the home of Grocer and Spirit Merchant, Robert Adair and his family.
Cambuslang, a quasi-town and a parish of NW Lanarkshire. The quasi-town stands on broken ground, traversed by a romantic brook, adjacent to the Glasgow, Uddingston, and Motherwell branch of the Caledonian railway, within ½ mile of the Clyde's left bank, 3¾ miles SE of Glasgow; extends slightly into Rutherglen parish; consists of a cluster of five villages - Silverbanks, furthest W; then Cambuslang proper; then Kirkhill, the original village; then the hamlet of Lightburn; and lastly that of Dalton. Bearing aggregately and popularly the name of Cambuslang, it presents, from many points of view, a finely picturesque appearance; consists chiefly of very plain houses; is inhabited principally by weavers and colliers, partly by masons and agricultural labourers; and has a station on the railway,a post office under Glasgow, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments, a branch of the Commercial Bank, gas-works, a handsome parish church (1841; 1000 sittings) with a conspicuous spire, a Free church with another fine spire, an Independent chapel (1801), and St Bride's Roman Catholic church (1878; 500 sittings). Pop. (1881) of Cambuslang village, 4772; of other villages, 4318.
Thomas's sister Margaret Chapman was residing with her husband James in England. Their address was West Harton, South Shields in County Durham. James was a Coal Miner aged 32 and Margaret was 29. Also resident were Jane (7), born in Scotland and 2-year-old William born in Harton, Durham.
The recently married William Richmond was residing at 77 Flemington Rows in Cambuslang. He was 25 and employed as a Coal Miner and his wife Mary was 27. Residing with them were Nelly Richmond, aged 4, who was quite probably Mary's daughter by a previous relationship, born in Dalziel, and 8-month-old William Richmond, born in Cambuslang. Also resident was William's 12-year-old half-sister Mary Richmond, who would have been only eight years old when her mother Agnes died in 1877.
Although Lillias Richmond was missing at the 1871 Census, she reappears at the 1881 Census. She was aged 21, and a General Servant (Domestic), living at the Rosebank Buildings, Main Street, Cambuslang at the home of John Scoular, a Family Grocer and Wine Merchant.
However, she was soon to marry, for on 9th September, 1881, Lily Richmond, now aged 22, married 24-year-old Coal Miner Hugh Naismith of 5 Russell Street in Wishaw. Lily gave her usual residence as Lilybank Buildings, Cambuslang, most probably at the home of her sister Jane McLachlan and where the marriage took place. One of the witnesses to the marriage was Agnes Richmond, Lily's younger sister.
On 28th March, 1886, Margaret Chapman, second daughter of William Richmond and Agnes Boyd, died aged 33 at 6 Flemington Rows, Cambuslang. Her husband James reported the death to the Registrar and the cause of death was recorded as Phthisis Pulmonalis, a form of Tuberculosis.
At the time of the 1891 Census (5th April), Thomas and Jane Richmond were residing at 55 Marshall Street, a little to the west of Russell Street. Thomas was 45 and still working as a Coal Miner, while Jane was 44. William (22), Thomas (16) and John (14) were also Coal Miners. Marion (12), Roxburgh (10), Agnes (7) and Maggie (5) were Scholars.
Meanwhile, Thomas and Jane's second eldest son Walter, who had enlisted in the Highland Light Infantry on 15th November, 1889 (bizarrely under the surname 'Gemmell') was residing at the Citadel Barracks in Hougham, Kent under the name Private Walter Gemmell. (On 8th May, 1897, Pte. Walter Richmond signed a declaration that he had enlisted under a name (Walter Gemmell) that was incorrect. There is no evidence that any disciplinary code had been breached.)
William and Agnes's eldest daughter, Jane McLachlan (42), her husband John and their family were still residing at Lilybank Buildings on Cambuslang Main Street. John was now a Seed Merchant, aged 42, Agnes (22) and Annie (17) were Cotton Power Loom Weavers, Alexander (19) was a General Labourer, John (14) was a Rivet Boy, Lily (11) was a Domestic Servant, Janet (9) and William (6) were Scholars and Jean (3) was not yet at school.
William and Agnes's second son William Richmond and his wife Mary were now residing at Peasweep Row in Blantyre. William was 37 and still a Coal Miner while Mary was 38. William (10), John (9), Maggie (7), and Thomas (5) were Scholars. Completing the family were Roxburgh (2) and Agnes, aged 1 month.
Lily Naismith was residing with her husband and family at 27 Graham's Place in Cambuslang. She was aged 31 while her husband Hugh was 34 and working as a Pit Furnace Man. Also resident were their children, Agnes (9) and Helen (7), both Scholars, and Jeanie (4), Hugh (2) and Lilias (under 1 month.)
William and Agnes's third son, Roxburgh Richmond, last heard of at the 1881 Census, had emigrated to Australia where he was employed as a Miner and had married Jean Graham in Newcastle City, New South Wales in 1891.
William and Agnes's youngest daughter, Agnes, now aged 24, was working as a General Servant at 17 Arlington Street near Charing Cross in Glasgow. Just over a year later at the same address, Agnes married Railway Porter Alexander Polson. A witness at the marriage was Agnes McLachlan who we presume would be her cousin, the eldest daughter of William's sister Jane.
Thomas Richmond, eldest son of William Richmond and Agnes Boyd, died at 55 Marshall Street, Wishaw on 29th October, 1896, age recorded as 51 and occupation Coal Miner. The cause of death was Chronic Bronchitis from which he had been suffering for four years. His death was reported to the Registrar by his son, William, who was residing at the time at Albert Square in Cambuslang, Lanarkshire.
Jane McLachlan, now 53, was residing with her husband John, now a Hay Seed Merchant, at 2 Lilybank Buildings, Cambuslang. Also at home, were Janet (19), a Cotton Weaver, William (16), a Van Driver and Jane (13), a Scholar.
William Richmond, now 46, was still residing at 4 Peasweep Row, Auchintibber, Blantyre and still employed as a Coal Miner. His wife Mary was recorded as being of age 46. Also resident were William (20), John (19), Thomas (15), all three Coal Miners. Roxburgh (12), Agnes (10) and Mary (6) were Scholars and Walter was aged just 1 year.
Lily Naismith, now 42, was residing at 3 Macdonald Street in Rutherglen. Her husband Hugh was 44 and employed as a Pit Inspector. Also resident were Nelly (17) and Jeanie (14), both Laundry Workers, Lily (10), Willie (7) and Bella (5).
Agnes Polson, now recorded as aged 36, was residing at Gartlea House, Carlisle Road, New Monkland. Her husband was aged 42 and was working as a Market Gardener. Also resident were 6-year-old Scholar Jane and 3-year-old, Alexandrina.
On 20th September, 1912, Agnes Polson, youngest daughter of William Richmond and Agnes Boyd, died at 5 Shandon Place, Edinburgh at age 47 years. Her husband Alexander, now employed as an Insurance Agent, reported the death to the Registrar. The cause of death was recorded as Carcinoma of Uterus and Breast with Secondary Carcinoma of Lungs.
On 13th March, 1919, Lily Naismith died at age recorded as 58 at 71 Stonelaw Road, Rutherglen. Her husband Hugh was employed as a Coal Miner at the time of her death. Her daughter Jean Naismith reported the death to the Registrar and the cause of death was recorded as Carcinoma Uteri.
On 16th January, 1921, William Richmond, second son of William Richmond and Agnes Boyd, died aged 65 years at 4 Parkneuk, Auchentibber, Blantyre. His son Walter Richmond reported the death and the Cause of Death was recorded as Cerebral Haemhorrhage.
Jane McLachlan, eldest daughter of Thomas Richmond and Agnes Boyd, died aged 82 on 5th September, 1930 at 173 Hamilton Road, Cambuslang. The cause of death was Valvular Heart Disease and Apoplexy. Her death was reported by her son-in-law John Lamont, also residing at 173 Hamilton Road, Cambuslang.
The last surviving child of Thomas and Agnes Richmond, Roxburgh Richmond died at age 72 in Hamilton, Newcastle City, New South Wales on 4th August 1935.