William Davidson Sharp was born in around 1833 in the parish of Kirkliston, Linlithgowshire. William's father was also named William Sharp and earned his living variously as a Labourer, Carter and Quarryman. There is some uncertainty over the identity of William's mother as we have conflicting information from two sources. William's 1859 marriage record states that his mother was Christina Orr, while his death record states that his mother's surname was Davidson (forename unknown). It is not uncommon for parents' names to be incorrectly stated or unknown on marriage records and occurs even more frequently on death records. In fact we suspect that William's mother was Susan Orr. Because we have found no birth record for William, we are unable to confirm his mother's name or indeed whether he was given his middle name of Davidson at birth or whether he adopted it in later life.
William's father had been born on 8th November, 1805 in Kirkliston to parents Wright George Sharp and Helen Dowie who had been married on 1st September, 1805 in Kirkliston. He had 4 younger siblings: George (b.12 Sep, 1907), Margaret (b. 24 Aug, 1809), Isabella (b. 23 Aug, 1812) and Gabriel (b. 1818).
KIRKLISTON, a parish, partly in the county of Edinburgh, but chiefly in that of Linlithgow; containing, with the villages of Newbridge, Niddry, and Winchburgh, 2489 inhabitants, of whom 440 are in the village of Kirkliston, 2½ miles (S.) from South Queensferry. This parish, of which about one-fourth lies in the county of Edinburgh, and three-fourths in that of Linlithgow, was formerly called Temple-Liston, an appellation partly acquired from the knights Templars, who obtained the chief lands in the twelfth century.
The parish is 5½ miles in length, from east to west, and 4½ in breadth, from north to south; and contains 7722 acres. It is bounded on the north and north-east by the parish of Dalmeny; on the north and north-west by Abercorn; on the west and south-west by Uphall, Mid-Calder, Ecclesmachen, and a detached portion of Dalmeny, named Auldcathie; on the south by Kirknewton and Ratho; and on the east by Corstorphine and Cramond.
The principal villages are, Kirkliston and Winchburgh in the county of Linlithgow, and Newbridge in the county of Edinburgh. At the extremity of that of Kirkliston is a distillery, established about 25 years ago; but, with the exception of the hands here employed, and those engaged in domestic trades, the whole population are occupied in agriculture. A fair is held at Kirkliston on the last Tuesday in July, and one at the village of Winchburgh on the first Friday in June, at neither of which, however, is any business transacted. There is a post-office, receiving and despatching letters once every day. Three turnpike-roads run through the parish, viz. the road from Edinburgh to Stirling, and to Glasgow by Falkirk, which passes through the village; the road from Edinburgh to Glasgow by Bathgate; and the road from Queensferry to the last-mentioned road. On all these a number of coaches, as well as carriers, formerly travelled. The Union canal also intersects the parish, and is conveyed over the river Almond by an aqueduct. There are two good bridges, likewise, over the Almond, one of which is on the line of the Stirling road, and the other on the middle road to Glasgow. The railroad between Edinburgh and Glasgow crosses the Almond, near the village of Kirkliston, by a splendid stone viaduct, one of the most extensive works of the kind on the line: this viaduct is 720 yards in length, twenty-eight feet in width, and fifty feet above the level of the water, resting upon thirty-six segmental arches, each of seventy-five feet span, with piers seven feet in thickness, the whole presenting a very noble appearance. At Winchburgh the railway passes through a tunnel 330 yards in length, twenty-six feet in breadth, and twenty-two in height, the second in extent of the five on the line.
At the time of the 1841 Census (7th June), William was residing with his grandparents George Sharp, a Wright, and Helen Sharp née Dowie at Jack's Houses, Kirkliston. Both grandparents' ages were recorded as 45. However, it should be noted that at the 1841 Census, ages over 15 were to be rounded down to the nearest multiple of 5. Nevertheless, the actual ages of George and Helen were 58 and 63 respectively. Also resident were William's uncles, George (25) and Gabriel Sharp (20), both also employed as Wrights. William's aunt Isabella Sharp, aged recorded as 15, was also present. William was recorded as 6 years old, although we suspect he was 8 at this time. Jack's Houses can be seen in the 1832 map below and appear to be in an isolated location about half a mile north of the village of Kirkliston in the parish of the same name.
The building at Jack's Houses was the subject of an extensive archeological and social history study "A social history of 19th-century farm workers and their families, at Jack's Houses, Kirkliston, Midlothian.", published in 2009. Unfortunately, the researchers were unable to trace the fates of the Sharp family. The report can be downloaded here.
Also residing in the parish of Kirkliston at this time were William's parents, Labourer William and Susanna Sharp, aged 30 and 28 respectively. William Sharp and Susan Orr married in Kirkliston on 2nd February, 1828. Also resident are Susanna (12), George (10), Elizabeth (6), James (3) and Gabriel (1). Birth records have been found for George, James and Gabriel confirming their parentage.
Although it is natural to ask why young William was residing with his grandparents at this time rather than his parents, to do so takes us immediately into the realms of speculation. The simplest explanation is that he may have been visiting on census night and that should satisfy us for now.
At the time of the 1851 Census (31st March), these two families are found residing next but one to each other in Kirkliston Village. William was again residing with his grandparents George (64), a House Carpenter, and Helen, now recorded as 66. Young William is now 17 and is working as a Journeyman Carpenter, clearly following in his grandfather's footsteps. Residing with them are William's uncle George Sharp (36), also a Journeyman Carpenter, and his aunt Margaret Sharp, a 30 year-old Dressmaker. Additionally, we find two other grandchildren, Helen (4) and Archibald (3) Sinclair. William's aunt Isabella Sharp had married Henry Sinclair in Kirkliston on 9th August, 1845, . We are, as yet, unable to account for their absence at this time and in fact no further record of any of the Sinclair family has been identified.
So William, for the second successive census, is residing with his grandparents and it is tempting to infer that he had been a permanent guest over the ten year period. There is of course no evidence in support of this.
Just two dwellings away, William's father, William Sharp, recorded as 40 years old, now widowed and earning his living as a Quarryman and Labourer, was residing with his two sons, George (19), an Agricultural Labourer, and James, age recorded as 9, a Scholar. His wife, Susan or Susannah, had died although no death record has been found.
On 8th January 1853, in Kirkliston parish, William's father married for the second time. His second wife was Williamina McDonald.
Ann Brown was born on 3rd February, 1834 in Falkirk, Stirlingshire. She was the daughter of William Brown, Tailor, and Margaret Thomson. Ann was the seventh of 10 children born to William and Margaret. No record of the Brown family has been found in the 1841 Census. However at the time of the 1851 Census (31st March), the now-widowed Margaret, aged 49, was residing at High Pleasance in the town of Falkirk with her five youngest children. Thomas T. Brown (19) was a Cooper while Ann (17) was a Dress Maker. Marion (14), Agnes (11) and William (8) were Scholars.
FALKIRK, a burgh, market-town, and parish, in the county of Stirling; including the villages of Barleyside, Bonnybridge, Camelon, Glen, and Laurieston, with part of the late quoad sacra district of Grangemouth; and containing 15,621 inhabitants, of whom 8209 are in the town, 11 miles (S. E.) from Stirling, and 24 (W. by N.) from Edinburgh.
The town is situated on the road from Linlithgow to Glasgow, and consists of one principal street, nearly a mile in length, and of several smaller streets parallel with it, or diverging from it in various directions; the houses, of which many are of modern date, are handsome and well built. In the High-street is the townhouse, erected in 1813, on the site of an ancient steeple built in 1697, and taken down in 1803; the present edifice has an elegant spire 140 feet high, and forms a great ornament. The town is well paved, lighted with gas, and amply supplied with water. Owing to its situation on an eminence, from which is a gentle declivity on both sides, it is always dry and clean; and, admitting a free circulation of air, it is regarded as a healthful place of residence. From the main street, a street called the Kirk Wynd extends for more than a mile to the north, connecting the town with the villages of Grahamston and Bainsford, and has handsome ranges of modern houses on each side. About a mile to the west of the town is the populous village of Camelon; and nearly at the same distance to the east is Laurieston, beyond which, close to the junction of the Forth and Clyde canal with the river Carron, is the populous and flourishing town and port of Grangemouth, which, with the various other villages in the parish, is noticed under its own head.
On 4th June, 1859 the 26-year-old William Sharp married Ann Brown, now a 25-year-old Domestic Servant, in the Burgh of Falkirk, Stirlingshire. William's residence at the time of his marriage was given as the parish of Kirknewton (probably in the village of East Calder.) Witnesses to the marriage were George Sharp, probably William's brother, and Marion Brown, most likely Ann's sister. William's occupation at the time of his marriage was Millwright. A millwright was a skilled tradesman who built, repaired and maintained industrial machinery, presumably originally in mills, but also in other manufacturing establishments.
This was when William declared his parents to be William Sharp and Christina Orr. If William had been residing continuously with his grandparents since 1841 (or earlier) it may partially explain why he incorrectly named his mother. Also, Susan Orr was last recorded at the time of the 1841 Census and may have been anything back to that time since William had had any contact with her.
On 27th July 1859, not even two months after Ann Brown's marriage to William Sharp, Ann's mother Margaret Brown née Thomson died of Consumption at High Pleasance in Falkirk. Her son William Brown reported the death.
William and Ann settled in East Calder, in the Parish of Kirknewton and East Calder, County of Edinburgh, about 8 miles south-south-west of Kirkliston village and started to raise a family there.
KIRKNEWTON and EAST CALDER, a parish, in the county of Edinburgh, 10½ miles (W. S. W.) from Edinburgh; containing 1441 inhabitants, of whom 289 are in the village of Kirknewton, and 419 in that of East Calder. These two ancient parishes, which were united about the year 1750, on the erection of the present church, are bounded on the north by the river Almond, and on the south by the Water of Leith; and the whole district is about six miles in length and four miles in breadth. The surface is comparatively level towards the north, but rises towards the south to a very considerable elevation, by a succession of three terraces, of which the lowest is traversed by the road to Glasgow, the highest by the road to Lanark, and the central forms the site of the church and village of Kirknewton.
The seats are, Linnburn, Hillhouse, Meadowbank, Ormiston Hill, and Calderhall. The village of Kirknewton, situated to the east of the church, consists chiefly of numerous detached cottages with gardens: the village of East Calder, on the road from Edinburgh to Glasgow, to the north-east of Kirknewton, forms a considerable range of houses on both sides of the road, with gardens in the rear. Both villages are neatly built; they contain shops amply supplied with the various articles of merchandize requisite for general use, and are inhabited by persons exercising the usual handicraft trades. A post-office in the village of Kirknewton has two deliveries daily; and facility of intercourse is maintained by the turnpikeroads from Edinburgh to Glasgow and to Lanark, by the Edinburgh and Glasgow Union canal, and the railway between those cities. The canal passes three, and the railway five, miles to the north of the parish.
On 14th April, 1860, William and Ann's first child, William Brown Sharp, named after his father and both grandfathers, was born in East Calder.
The 1865 map below shows the village of East Calder comprised of a single street with the Church and Manse just to the south-east. Also shown at the top left of the map, on the River Almond, is the East Mill, a corn mill, which is quite possibly where William Sharp would have plied his trade as a Millwright. Another possibility is the Saw Mill, just north of the main street. At the 1861 Census (8th April), we find 27-year-old Millwright, William, residing with 26-year-old Ann in the village of East Calder with their 11-month-old son, William.
Meanwhile, his father William, aged 51 and employed as a Stone Quarrier, was residing in Winchburgh Village in Kirkliston Parish with his wife Williamina (45) and new family, Thomas (7) and Isabella (2).
On 26th September, 1862, Margaret Sharp, named after her maternal grandmother, was born in East Calder. Tragically, she died only 6 months later of Convulsion Fits on 27th March, 1863. William reported the death of his baby daughter.
Helen Orr Sharp was born on 3rd January 1865, East Calder, prbbably named after William's grandmother. Her middle name supports the proposition that William's mother's surname was Orr.
Robert Sharp was born on 24th August 1866, and on 23rd December, 1870, George Sharp was born. Both were born in East Calder and William registered both births.
Between these two happy events, William Sharp's father William died on 13th June, 1870 at Winchburgh, parish of Kirkliston. No cause of death was entered in the death register. However, two weeks later the following was entered in the Register of Corrected Entries
'When and Where died: 13th June 1870 on the Turnpike Road near the Canal Bridge at Winchburgh in the Parish of Kirkliston, County of Linlithgow. Cause of Death: Disease of the Heart: Died suddenly.'
William was 64 years old. His son James reported the death to the registrar.
At the 1871 Census (3rd April), the 37-year-old William, still a Millwright, is residing with his 36-year-old wife Ann in East Calder. From the sequencing of the census returns, it appears that they lived fairly close to the Manse and the United Presbyterian Church, the latter of which became the Church Hall of the current church (built 1886.) Also resident were their children, William (11) and Helen (6), both Scholars, and Robert (4) and George (3 months.)
On 28th February, 1873, Ann gave birth to twins Mary Stark Sharp and James Sharp, who completed William and Ann's family. Stark was not a family name and its origin is not clear. Quite possibly it could have been a mark of respect for a neighbour or colleague. All of William and Ann's children had been born on East Calder.
By the time of the 1881 Census (4th April), William and Ann had moved their family some 10 miles north-west of East Calder to Linlithgow Bridge, most likely to ensure continued employment for William and his family. The 48-year-old William was now a Millwright in a Paper Mill, Ann was 47 and their daughter Ellen, now 16, was a Paper Mill Worker. Robert (14) was an Apprentice Millwright at a Paper Mill, and George (10), James (8) and Mary (8) were Scholars.
Linlithgow Bridge, a village partly in Linlithgow parish, Linlithgowshire, and partly in Muiravonside parish, Stirlingshire, at the bridge across the Avon, ¾ mile W of the town of Linlithgow. The bridge was built about 1650 by Alexander, Earl of Linlithgow, and the pontage was in 1677 granted by Charles II. to his descendant George, Earl of Linlithgow. A quarter of a mile farther up the Avon is the viaduct that carries the North British railway across the river, there being twenty-three arches, of which the centre ones are 90 feet high. Close to the village is a papermill, which affords employment to a large number of the inhabitants. Pop. of village (1861) 560, (1871) 503, (1881) 479, of whom 359 were in the Linlithgowshire portion. Houses 118, of which 87 were in the Linlithgowshire portion.
Eldest son, William, was not resident with them. However, a 20-year-old William Sharp was in lodgings at 104 Duke Street, Edinburgh and employed as an Iron Turner. This would likely be William Brown Sharp.
The 1865 map shows the village of Linlithgow Bridge, east of the River Avon, where William and Ann and their family resided at the time of the 1881 Census. At the top right of the map is Loch Mill, the paper mill where William, Robert and Ellen worked.
Loch Mill: A large paper manufactory situated 1/2 mile W of Linlithgow. It is rather irregularly built, being of different altitudes from one to four storeys high. It was established in 1808 and is for the manufacture of printing and cartridge paper only. It embraces the different departments connected (with) paper making, viz.: sorting, cutting, carding, engine, machine, bleaching and finishing rooms. Two engines of 10 and 25 horse power, waterwheel 26ft in diameter by 1 1/2 ft and 6 horse power. The average number of hands, male and female employed is 70. The property of Mr A Cowan and Sons, Penicuik.
William and Ann were soon to relocate their family to Camelon, Falkirk some 8 miles west of Linlithgow Bridge. In 1885, the valuation records show William Sharp, Engineer, residing there on Gordon Street and operating out of a local workshop.
Camelon, a village and a quoad sacra parish in Falkirk parish, Stirlingshire. The village stands on the northern bank of the Forth and Clyde Canal, 1¼ mile W by N of the town of Falkirk, near the site of a Roman town. It long presented a squalid, woe-begone appearance, but began about 1866 to undergo material improvement; and it now has a post office under Falkirk, with money order and savings' bank departments, a local savings' bank (1867), 2 nail factories, 3 iron foundries, a church (1840; 660 sittings), the Falkirk cemetery, and a public school (1876). The ancient Roman town stood on the river Carron, which winds ½ mile to the N; figures generally in modern notices of it as Old Camelon; is identified by some antiquaries with the Roman Ad Vallum; and, having this peculiarity that it lay just outside Antoninus' Wall, was connected therewith by an iter leading onward to the country N of the Forth. It appears, on good evidence, to have been a seaport, under circumstances when not only the river Carron was navigable beyond its site, but the Firth of Forth covered great part of what is now the Carse of Falkirk; and, between the retiring of the Romans and the 9th century, it is said to have been continuously occupied as a town by the Picts. An anchor was exhumed at it in 1707; two stones bearing unmistakable marks of the Roman chisel were discovered early in this century, built up in the front of one of the houses of the present village; and twelve gates of brass are fabled to have pierced the walls of the ancient city. In 1851, too, the cutting of the Polmont Junction railway exposed a sewer, which, being excavated about 1868 by the late Sir Jas. Simpson and Dr Hill Burton, yielded fragments of glass and of pottery, partly of Samian ware. The quoad sacra parish is in the presbytery of Linlithgow and synod of Lothian and Tweeddale; its minister's stipend is £120. Pop. of village (1841) 1340, (1861) 1308, (1871) 1838, (1881) 1550; of q. s. parish (1871) 3286, (1881) 2724.—Ord. Sur., sh. 31,1867. See Roy's Military Antiquities (1793); pp. 61,107, of Glennie's Arthurian -Localities (1869); and Nimmo's Stirlingshire (3d ed. 1880).
On 29th December 1887, 22-year-old Dressmaker, Helen Orr Sharp residing in Camelon, Falkirk, married 24-year-old Thomas Rowland, a Bricklayer of Bo'ness. He was the son of Samuel Rowland, Brick Contractor, and Jane Rae. Helen gave her father's occupation as Engineer (Master).
On 15th June, 1888, at Camelon Manse, Parish of Falkirk, William Brown Sharp, now an Engineer, aged 28 and residing in Camelon, married 24-year-old Jeanie Baird Cowan of Pleasance Gardens, Falkirk, daughter of Alexander Cowan, Grocer, and Marion Allan. Witnesses to the marriage were Robert Sharp, William's brother, and Jeanie Murdoch. William Davidson Sharp's occupation at the time of the marriage was given as Engineer.
On 26th February, 1890, at Camelon, Falkirk, Robert Sharp, also an Engineer, aged 24 and residing in Camelon, married 24-year-old Jeannie Murdoch, Saleswoman, of Camelon, daughter of Alexander Murdoch, Newsagent, and Janet Mundie. Witnesses on this occasion were James Murdoch, probably Jeanie's brother, and Mary Mundie, likely a cousin. Robert's father, William Sharp's occupation was again given as Engineer.
At the time of the 1891 Census (5th April), William Sharp and his family were residing at Orchard Cottage, Cart Road, Camelon, Falkirk. William, now aged 57, gave his occupation as Engineer and Machine Maker and, significantly, he was recorded as being an Employer. William had gone into business for himself. His wife, Ann, was 57. George, now aged 20, and James, 17, also gave their occupation as Engineer and Machine Maker. Both were recorded as Employees. Mary Sharp was 17 and a Dressmaker.
Next door to William and Ann and their family in the other dwelling of Orchard Cottage was their eldest son William Brown Sharp, now aged 30, and his family. His wife, now recorded as Jane, was 26, and their two sons were William (1) and Alex, aged 1 month. William's occupation was given as Engineer and Machine Maker.
Cart Road in Camelon was renamed Union Road at some time in the 1890s, most likely in recognition of the Union Canal which joined the Forth and Clyde Canal very close to this location. The building accommodates two dwellings which are today numbered 22 and 24 which we know for sure were the residences of James and George Sharp respectively in the 1920s. A modern-day photograph of Orchard Cottage in Union Road is shown at the foot of this page.
Next to Orchard Cottage was located the Workshop or Engineering Works of Wm. Sharp & Sons.
At this time the newly-married Robert Sharp was residing with his wife Jane and their 3-month-old son, William Davidson Sharp, named after his grandfather, at the Co-operative Buildings, Camelon, Falkirk. Robert also gave his occupation as Engineer and Tool Maker and was an Employee. The Co-operatve Buildings appear to have been located on Burnside Terrace which connected to Cart/Union Road just a little further south of Orchard Cottage.
This is the first occasion that the name Davidson appears in the records. Robert's first son, William Davidson Sharp, had been born on 15th January, 1891 in Camelon. It would appear therefore that Robert's father had by this time accepted William Davidson Sharp as his full name.
We have searched for a connection to the Davidson name and the only link we have found stretches back to the 1841 Census when the 8-year-old William was residing with his grandparents George and Helen Sharp at Jack's Houses. Residing elsewhere in the Parish of Kirkliston was George's 64-year-old brother William Sharp and his wife Margaret Davidson. It seems a stretch to conclude that William's middle name came from his great aunt, but it is all we have managed to uncover.
Meanwhile, Helen Orr Rowland was residing in Muirhead, Parish of Chryston, Lanarkshire with her 27-year-old husband Thomas who was a Bricklayer and an Employer. Their children Samuel (2) and Ann (9 months) were also resident.
William Sharp had founded his own engineering and machine making business and all 4 of his sons joined the venture with him. The business was called Wm Sharp & Sons, Engineers. This development would most likely have been associated with the family's move from Linlithgow Bridge to Camelon.
On 4th December, 1893, Mary Stark Sharp, twin of James, died at Camelon at the age of 20 of Phthisis (Tuberculosis), from which she had been suffering for 13 years. She was buried in Camelon Cemetery.
On 4th November, 1896 William Davidson Sharp, aged 63, died of Cerebral Apoplexy at Orchard Cottage in Camelon. In modern terminology, the cause of death was a Stroke. The death record stated that the duration of the disease [or condition] was 1 year 10 months 2 days.
William's eldest son William registered the death and offered the deceased's mother's surname as Davidson. It is possible that this was merely a guess based on the middle name. William was buried on 6th November, 1896 in Camelon Cemetery in the same grave as his daughter Mary who had died three years earlier.
It appears that when the headstone was first erected in 1893 at the time of Mary's death, William referred to himself as William Sharp. Following his own passing, his name was added to the headstone as William Davidson Sharp. Of course it would have been his family who would have authorised this.
In William's will, obviously written before his death, he is referred to as William Davidson Sharp and he clearly accepted this as his name.
At the time of the 1901 Census (31st March), The widowed Ann Sharp, aged 67, was residing at Union Road, Camelon with her as yet unmarried sons, George, 30, and James, 28. Both sons gave their occupation as Engineer and Machine Maker. Both were recorded as Employers. Clearly, they were now running the engineering business founded by their late father.
Also living at Union Road, Camelon, were William Brown Sharp, Mechanical Engineer, now aged 40, Jane, 36, and their three Scholar sons, William (11), Alexander (10) and Robert (7). We suspect that, although not expressly stated in the census return, the two families were still residing in Orchard Cottage.
Very close by in Burnside Terrace, Camelon, Robert Sharp, now 35 and an Engine Fitter, resided with his wife Jane, aged 35, and 4 children, William (10), Alexander (8), Nettie (5) and Robert (2).
Helen Orr Rowland, now 36, was residing at "Glencairn", Provanhall Road, Swinton Village, Baillieston, Lanarkshire with her husband Thomas who was now 37 and a Brickmaker and Builder. Their children were Samuel (12), Ann (10), William (8), all Scholars, and Robert (4) and James (3).
On 5th June, 1901, at Lime Road in Falkirk, James Sharp, aged 28, married 29-year-old Bethia Allan residing at Hallside Cottage. She was the daughter of William Allan, Plumber, and Agnes Allan.
On 11th June, 1907, George Sharp, aged 36 and residing at Union Road, Camelon, married 31-year-old shop assistant Mary Scobbie at her family home in Carron Road, Falkirk. Mary's parents were James Scobbie, Insurance Agent, and Catherine Dickson. A Witness to the marriage was Samuel Rowland who would have been the 18-year-old son of James's sister Helen.
On 20th March, 1909, William Brown Sharp, Engineer, died at age 48 of a Cerebral Haemorrhage at Union Road, Camelon. His brother, Robert, registered the death.
On 26th March, 1916, Ann Sharp, widow of William Davidson Sharp, died at age 82, at 24 Union Road, Camelon. Cause of death was Senility. The death was registered by her son George. Ann was buried in Camelon Cemetery with her husband William and daughter Mary.
In common with many other engineering businesses, William Sharp & Sons supported the war effort during WWI.
Robert Sharp, Master Engineer, died of Nephritis on 31st July 1919, aged 52, at The Hedges, Camelon. The death was registered by his eldest son, William Davidson Sharp.
On 6th January, 1922, James Sharp, Mechanical Engineer, aged 48, was killed in an accident at the Corporation Power Station, High Station Road in Falkirk. He suffered a fracture of the base of the skull and subsequently died by drowning. His son, William Davidson Allan Sharp, registered the death. James's usual residence at the time was given as 22 Union Road, Camelon.
On 15th May, 1929, George Sharp, Engineer, died, aged 58, of Arteriosclerosis and a Cerebral Haemorrhage at 24 Union Road, Camelon. His brother-in-law, David Scobbie, registered the death.
The fate of Helen Orr Rowland (née Sharp) has not yet been established.
William Sharp & Sons, engineers and machine makers, founded by William in the late 19th Century and incorporated in 1909 was dissolved in 1972. The works and plant were taken over by the Falkirk Brass and Sanitary Engineering Co.